PNEU Darts

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Anyone have a supplier outside their local vet or ammo supplier for pneu darts? They get pretty pricey, so we were looking for maybe someone online that others have used to buy in larger quantity for a better price.

They all seem to be about the same price. I used to order from other dealers but then Pneu-Dart told me they had problems with some made before a certain date so, since then I just order from Pneu-Dart. B&G

I was browsing Livestock Concepts. It's good to see a recommendation.

Have a friend who is stating he can get them for $18. My husband was going to look into him and see if they are the same brand, etc... But felt it was worth a try to see if anyone else out there sold for that also.

NEFarmwife":1erqvh51 said:

Have a friend who is stating he can get them for $18. My husband was going to look into him and see if they are the same brand, etc... But felt it was worth a try to see if anyone else out there sold for that also.

If true that's a pretty good price. I'm paying $27 right now per pack.

LDEnterprises":11pn4u9a said:
NEFarmwife":11pn4u9a said:

If true that's a pretty good price. I'm paying $27 right now per pack.

I'll follow up with info if this turns out to be accurate!

It's a dart that holds vaccines. We use it in pasture to treat cattle if they're sick.

Was a costly investment but sure makes the work a lot easier and have had good success with it so far.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":388oil7c said:
Oh, yeah. Now it makes sense. Thanks We do have a few producers around the state that use darts.
Anyone with cattle should have a dart gun. Lot of times I'll dart one in the pen just so I don't get it all worked up going through the chute.

jedstivers":2onff4bm said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2onff4bm said:
Oh, yeah. Now it makes sense. Thanks We do have a few producers around the state that use darts.
Anyone with cattle should have a dart gun. Lot of times I'll dart one in the pen just so I don't get it all worked up going through the chute.
Sorry, but I have never had an animal get so "worked up" putting it thru the chute that I would consider darting it. I am not trying to criticize anyone, but I believe having good facilities is the number one thing a producer needs on their farm. If my facilities were so poor or my cattle were so wild that I needed to dart them ---- well, I'll just say that is not my kind of working cattle. Wild cows get culled.

I'll add that if I had one too wild to work thru the chute, I would have the butcher here to shoot her & hang her up. If they are too wild to go thru the chute, I darn sure wouldn't want to load them on a trailer. LOL Just different managements. It's what you tolerate in your own management. I'm sure I do things some of you would never do on your farm. Everyone needs to be comfortable with their own program.

They work real good in big pastures where you have to gather a large bunch to doctor one animal. A lot easier than roping and knocking one down. Easier on both the cow and the cowboy.
I pay about $18 a pack for the darts.

Dave":30sps4zr said:
They work real good in big pastures where you have to gather a large bunch to doctor one animal. A lot easier than roping and knocking one down. Easier on both the cow and the cowboy.
Totally understand where it can be super useful in individual situations. I forget how BIG beef farms are elsewhere!!! I walk my whole property. LOL

Anybody have any experience with the Medi-dart. The one that's shot with a crossbow? Its supposed deliver a lot of cc's if needed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1gev1nmm said:
jedstivers":1gev1nmm said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1gev1nmm said:
Sorry, but I have never had an animal get so "worked up" putting it thru the chute that I would consider darting it. I am not trying to criticize anyone, but I believe having good facilities is the number one thing a producer needs on their farm. If my facilities were so poor or my cattle were so wild that I needed to dart them ---- well, I'll just say that is not my kind of working cattle. Wild cows get culled.

Ours (about 300 pair) all have a good docility and very easy to work. We've had no problems sorting off and chuting a sick cow to treat but with the gun, which is fairly new to us... We'd probably shoot one with a dart if the pen conditions were real wet/sloppy. Otherwise, we really made our purchase decision on treating in pasture. Takes a few men to gather up one sick cow in a large pasture and not favorable if the cow is really sick. I believe this is one of the best purchases we've made and feel we've already got back our investment.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":39l9kmhb said:
Dave":39l9kmhb said:
Totally understand where it can be super useful in individual situations. I forget how BIG beef farms are elsewhere!!! I walk my whole property. LOL

For staying on top of things such as pinkeye, foot rot etc. when you don't have time to gather them they are a useful tool.
Mine was a lifesaver last year with the pinkeye outbreak I had. B&G

Jeanne - Simme Valley":vetvo09h said:
jedstivers":vetvo09h said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":vetvo09h said:
Anytime you take a sick animal through the chute you are inducing stress.
Just seperating them from the herd stresses them. If they are hurt and you make them walk you stress them.
I have real nice facilities. I loaded out 226 head on pots in a hour out of them. They aren't shabby.
Yes I have had wild cows and I do not care if they are wild or not, they get worked but those aren't the kind I'm talking about.
I mean just good ol cows. The less stress the better.
Simply load a dart and shoot them. The settle down much faster than you'd think.

Dave":1ox6amz1 said:

Good price. We use it mostly for pinkeye victims when it's 90 plus degrees outside. Hard on the cows and calves to get up in hot weather to give a couple shots. It's worked for us so far. Not cheap though.

Latest posts