Pnemonuia

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
I have a newly weaned steer calve that appears to have pnemonia. Mucus discharge from mouth, loss of appetite, head hanging low, real lethargic.....etc. What do ya'll guys do in this situation? He's drinking plenty of water.

JB

txshowmom":1iqnjy42 said:
We use micotil

This stuff works good but is very, very dangerous use with extreme caution. One little prick and you could be in the hospital or even worse!!!

txshowmom wrote:
We use micotil

This stuff works good but is very, very dangerous use with extreme caution. One little prick and you could be in the hospital or even worse!!!

Thanks certherfbeef. You are correct. You must use extremem care with this medication but it can cure ANYTHING (almost).

I gave him a shot of LA200 yesterday morning and I'm going to follow it up this afternoon with nuflor, bantamine, and B-12. If he doesn't respond I may try the micotil. I've never used it before and am always open to new and improved ideas. In my locale I don't have a lot of cattlemen to share ideas with outside ya'll guys.

I appreciate all the input.

JB

after we first weaned we had a couple with pneumonia. I think it was called Sulfa, it's a liquid you put in the water, used mostly for pigs, and I added Blue lite to get them to drink it, and a shot of nuflour. I asked for Micotel, but doc wouldn't sell it to me. Also CTC crumbles in with the grain help.

The steer acted a little better this morning, but still won't eat. What is this blue lite? I've never heard of it. I may need to tube him, he's getting very weak, but I've never had to tube one before. Any suggestions on what to give him or any alternate ideas?

Thanks

Yes. He is the one who convinced me to use Nuflor instead of LA200 in this case. He agreed with the B12 and Banamine, but I figured he should have an appetite again by this morning. I'm just afraid that he has became too weak and needs some energy too work with now.

JB

"I have a newly weaned steer calve"

Start him back on milk.. this will give him some energy back.. have you seen if he has diarrea.. scours.. he might be dehydrated.. changes in diet will do this.

Blue lite is a bag of blue powder, helps combat shrink is its big selling point.... but it has vitamins, and electrolytes, and it smells really sweet when you dump it in the tank. The vet has it, I used to see it at runnings farm and fleet, and you can order it from catalogs like Jeffers, etc.

In my experience, Baytril has worked very well for pnuemonia.

If he's lethargic, put electolytes in his water.. you may have to tube him. The Banamine should help him to feel better, I'm surprised you didn't notice a difference within 12 hours.

Well, the steer didn't make it. You can't save them all, but it was worth a shot. I've never seen one get as sick as he was yesterday afternoon. You learn a lesson everyday.

Thanks everyone for your help.

JB

Latest posts