Pnemonia

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Just lost a calf and was wondering if I could do anything better next time. Bought a new born(5 day old) holstein, lasted about 3 days. 2nd day developed scours, treaeted with scour pill and pennicilin. 3rd day gave same, but after shot lasted 5 minutes then croaked. Gave shot in neck muscle, could this be the problem? If so, where would be the proper placefor injection site?

[email protected]

Health problems in the little guys is always a problem once they get sick. When we used to acquire drop calves, the first thing we did was treat with Nuflor, used the same thing if they got pnemonia. Scours and pnemonia are the two quickest killers also. The neck is the proper place for the shots. Pen. has been replaced with any number of much better drugs, check with a good large animal vet to find what is the prefered treatment in your area. Sorry you lost the calf, but don't let it get you down on trying again. Spray down the area the calf was in with a mixture of clorox and water and expose it to the sun if you can. Any equipment, i.e. bottles, nipples, feeders, etc. also. There is a good chance that if you expose a new calf to the area without doing it you may infect the new one with the same stuff that the previous calf had.

dunmovin farms

> Just lost a calf and was wondering
> if I could do anything better next
> time. Bought a new born(5 day old)
> holstein, lasted about 3 days. 2nd
> day developed scours, treaeted
> with scour pill and pennicilin.
> 3rd day gave same, but after shot
> lasted 5 minutes then croaked.
> Gave shot in neck muscle, could
> this be the problem? If so, where
> would be the proper placefor