please settle the argument-which cow is in heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

HEREFORD ROADHOG

Reaction score
:help: I say the cow standing is in heat ,my son thinks it's the cow doing the jumping ,who is right ? thank-you.

Sometimes its BOTH.
But I'm only going to thaw semen and put it in the cow that STANDS to be mounted.

Had two in heat yesterday afternoon. Both mounting, and both standing to be mounted.

Both of you are right to an extent but it will usually be the one standing that is on heat.

For being an opionated self proclaimed expert on cattle you sure dont know much

I have seen it both ways. Generally (in my herd) the one comming into heat tries to ride anything that will stand still.....then that same one will stand still for anything to ride her! As far as who is ready to get bred it will be the one standing for everyone!

Crazy Farmgirl":2j6ffdmi said:
I have seen it both ways. Generally (in my herd) the one comming into heat tries to ride anything that will stand still.....then that same one will stand still for anything to ride her! As far as who is ready to get bred it will be the one standing for everyone!

I've learned A LOT in the last year about identifying heat cycles so I could call the AI Tech, and I agree that the one coming into heat will try to ride everyone else. It is the cow that ALLOWS other cows to mount her without trying to walk away that is in standing heat.

One of my cows has a special throaty 'mmmm' that she makes when she is in heat, so I also listen for her "purr." But she is French, so your cow may not make any sound. ;)

I have also learned that while cows come into heat every three weeks, this is actually a plus or minus 2-3 days depending on the cow. I missed cycles last year by relying too much on the calendar and not enough on observation.

My other cow typically leaves a bright red discharge on the ground a couple of days after she goes out of heat. I thought she had been bred and aborted when I saw this the first time, but no, this is a normal discharge and means that the heat cycle is complete (but it MAY not occur if the cow was successfully covered, or at least that cow didn't leave a discharge after the AI tech was through with her).

I should print this out as a reminder for next breeding season. ;)

Michael

I always thought
coming in-will ride but not be ridden,
standing heat-will ride and be ridden,
going out-will be ridden but will not ride.

hooknline":38lwfhv4 said:
For being an opionated self proclaimed expert on cattle you sure dont know much

Well it's my old pal "hook em & reel em in". I'm glad to see that you are still monitoring my every post.What a sad little life you have. :oops: I'm not sure what they call it in Florida,but it's called cyber-stalking up here.... :nod: & I notice you didn't post an answer,showing that you have no idea at all. :banana: I do know who still overcharges for beef though......... :cowboy:

I've got a couple of 'boss' cows in the herd that you have to watch REALLY closely - they might stand once - but most other cows won't 'challenge' them enough to try mounting them. If you're not there to see it, you miss it.

Sometimes, if two or more are in heat at the same time, one cow hogs all the attention from the others, and you may miss those that just aren't as 'hot' or mountable as the main 'hottie'. It may be necessary to cut out the one you KNOW is in standing heat in order to catch the ones that just don't get the attention from the other cows. Had this experience just this weekend - three cows in heat at the same time, but everybody was riding one; once we separated her, the cows turned their attention to the other two.

When a cow/ heifer first comes into heat she will try to ride others....by the time the day is over she will be in standing heat

Alpine Cattleman":121x6xhk said:
When a cow/ heifer first comes into heat she will try to ride others....by the time the day is over she will be in standing heat
thats how i have seen my cows do it.

Standing heat is what you are looking for, the cows riding are probably coming in to standing heat but until they actually stand to be ridden themselves they don't qualify as being in satnding heat. Cows that are at the beginning of their standing heat will quite often ride those standing also. Lenght of the standing heat varies quite a bit, so if you are relying entirely on visual heat detection, you need to put in the time.

Cows show many signs of coming into heat and going out. If you take the time you will see them and start to rely more on them and the ease of planning accordingly. Better conception rates come from those who watch for more than just a single sign that may only last a few hours while your at your day job or on another ranch fixing fences.
We have had cows and heifers in the past that WOULD NOT stand for heat more than once or twice if even that. Mostly as stated above due to there senority in the herd.
In the original question the general thought would be the one standing only. But I agree with others that by pulling the one out of a group you may find others that are standing as well.
Taking into consideration the other signs allows for an edge on AI'ing.
Just my two cents. Best of luck!
Double R

Latest posts