**Please Look**Prolapsed vagina 8 mo bred heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin,

I acknowledged that in this case, the prolapse was not the issue, and my concern is not with this particular case. I already explained that.

I will say it again.

When a cow has a vaginal prolapse before calving, that does not go away when she stands up, she must be stitched up until she goes into labour, at which point the stitches must be cut so she can deliver the calf.

What part of that are you unable to understand?

You are welcome.

when you open the picture in ranchers, right click on it and go down to properties. Highlight and copy the URL, paste it into your reply. Then highlight it and click the Img button.

it should look like this:

(img)www.whatever.com(/img) except with square brackets.

I just quoted you, and fixed the img codes up. But, you posted the URL for the thumb nail image, which is why they came up small. Try it again, but be sure to click the image first in ranchers, so it brings it up large on your screen, then follow the steps I said above.

Hi Again,

Just thought I would let let yall know, mom passed afterbirth with no problems, I collected it and am going to dispose of it.

Thank you all again.

Jen

AARGH! No, you dont understand what I am saying.

Sir Loin, I may not be as old as you, but I am talking from EXPERIENCE, I am not quoting from books or webpages, matter of fact I have never seen that webpage you provided the link for, if you are suggesting that is where I got my information.

I never said that a cow who is in labour and prolapsing should be stitched up!

Obviously I need to be more specific: you need to stitch a cow that prolapses and isnt in labour! I have dealt with cows that are as long as 6 weeks away from calving, and have prolapsed. Pray tell, SL, how those cows would survive that period of time without urinating??

SirLoin2":24oxsifp said:
And who's to say that while the stitches are in she will not go into labor while you are unavailable/asleep and you will end up with a dead cow and calf because there is no one there to remove the stitches?

Its called checking on your cattle regularly, try it, you might be surprised.

Jen, sounds good :D

Keren you're beating your head on a brick wall here. I agree with you 100% about treating a vaginal prolapse before the birth of the calf, but if SL wants a burst bladder, vaginal infection, uterine infection and all the other problems that come with it, they are welcome to it.

Jen glad that everything turned out so well.

i bet this heifer is brahman influenced, ive seen em bulge out like that plenty of times when lying down from the extra pressure... no problems........but i also had two full brahman sisters have vaginal prolaspe a month before calving

alacattleman":6dp0la6e said:
i bet this heifer is brahman influenced, ive seen em bulge out like that plenty of times when lying down from the extra pressure... no problems........but i also had two full brahman sisters have vaginal prolaspe a month before calving
Once this happens, will it always repeat? What if it just shows itself while the cow is laying down and goes back upon standing?

CKC1586":pkwmkaz2 said:
alacattleman":pkwmkaz2 said:
Once this happens, will it always repeat? What if it just shows itself while the cow is laying down and goes back upon standing?
If it just shows and goes away when they stand it may or may not repeat in the following years. If it pops until it has to be stitched 99.9% of the time it will repeat again the following year.

Hi All,

Just to let you all know, I went out to check on mom and baby this am and mom had a complete uterine prolapse and
had to be put down by the vet, she was too far gone to put back in and stitch. :( The calf is doing well, I have her in a dry warm barn and will be taking on the bottle feeding battle soon. We have named her Miracle.

Thanks Again,

Jen

hey Jen,
Sorry to hear about your loss. Good you got the vet out.

Just some tips on the calf
do not use soy based milk replacer, go with the good stuff, all milk, it will pay off in the end
do not leave the calf in the barn all the time. Let it get fresh air. The barn has a tendancy to induce pnemonia in baby calves if not ventilated well, as well, the are more likely to become chronic pnemonia from staying in the barn.
Bottle babies are cool, have fun with them, but you have to be dedicated to feed them 3x a day for the first while, sometimes four, and the gradual go down to two. Small more often feedings are better on the digestive system.

Rockridgecatte,

The barn is actually pole barn covered on 3 sided and completely open at the front except for gates.
We have had rain out the wazoo here the last couple of days, but when it gets nice I will bring her into the fenced backyard
for exercise and company. The replacement I have is Unimilk from Manna Pro, is that ok or can you suggest a better brand to look for. I was going to try feeding morning, afternoon and night. I just really don't want her to get the screaming mimis
and dehydrate.
Thanks

i have no idea on what that type of replacer is. You need to read the feed tag on it. It should say made from milk products. Soy should not enter the picture. It should have atleast 20% protien and 20% fat as well as 20%...drawing a blank. Sorry
The stuff we feed our calves is Browns milk replacer or 20:20:20 from ridley (feedrite)

Rockridgecattle,

It does have soy. Can I use it for just tonight or should I head to the feed store now?
And what is the problem with the soy?

Rockridgecattle,

Ignore the question about the soy...I had a DUH moment...It's fake milk!!

I got the 20-20 from my cattler buddy that has the feed store. I'd rather give her what she needs and not skimp..
Thanks for the info.

If that is what you have, in a pinch, not a problem. But coming from the perspective of a person who has had a share of bottle babies you can really see the difference between the soy and all milk replacers.
But note, switching milk brands and quality types will set the calf back because it will have to get use to the new stuff. Their digestive tracts are sensitive...
I like browns milk replacer. I do not know if you can get it in the states. But browns has a milk replacer line for different stages of the calf's bottle life.
As you probably have figured out, all milk replacer is quite costly.
PM larryshoat, Msscamp, hillsdown, dun, all have alot of experience and a wealth of knowledge on bottle babies. If i missed anyone out on the go to list, sorry.
'Luck
RR

Sorry about your cow.

I don't like soy replacers. Milk replacer is where it's at. Because your calf has got it's colostrum you whouldn't have any problems with it. If you go down to your local ag store or vet they should be able to set you right regarding milk and teats.

Don't forget to put an air hole in your bottle. I learnt that the hard way.

Maybe let her have access to cover and outside. My calves were in a back yard with a veranda for protection.

And like Rockridge said, Bottle calves are demanding but they are fun. Enjoy it.

(As a side note I'm going home for a bit and it coincides with my boyfriend's Mum going on holidays for a few weeks. So guess who's been talked into looking after the bottle calf? :banana: lol)

Sorry about your cow. I know it's a tough situation. Have lost a couple from prolapse.

I actually cut the "x" in the nipple larger. The milk comes out better. The calf will release the nipple when it gets too hard to suck, but if it doesn't and you feel the bottle caving in, pull the nipple out of her mouth.
Good luck with the calf.

Sorry for your loss of the cow.

Do NOT get attached to the little heifer calf -- prolapse issues follow the genetic line (in our experience... our experience also ties it more to Herefords than the brahman influenced... but as you can tell from this thread - everyone has different experiences).

The calf can not absorb and utilize the soy protein as well as the all milk replacers. In our experience you should arm yourself with the following:
- all milk, milk replacer
- learn or have someone show you how to tube the calf with the proper equipment (if needed)
- obtain Optimil Complete (enough dosings for 3 days at least twice) -- it's a scour medication fed instead of milk replacer
- Calf Manna or Grain to get the little bugger eating as soon as possible

There are many threads on this site for recommendations for bottle babies that will be extremely helpful to you - best of luck and good job so far.

Latest posts