Please let me know what you think of these.

Help Support CattleToday:

She is certainly heavy. I doubt that the other two conditions are true though based on the picture you showed and her pedigree.

KMacGinley":1rjamhio said:
I am having a hard time trying to figure out why in the world you would flush that cow to Cortachy Boy?

You are talking two entirely different types of cattle. What do you think you are going to get?

A whole lot of diversity :roll:

We have a 1680 grandson, a retail product son and love his calves. They are smaller framed, but make up for it with conformation and muscle mass.

RD-Sam":k2y49p7y said:
Probably some arse!!! That would be why I would breed to him.
:???: ...and THAT is the ONLY reason you would breed a cow to that bull?? THAT would be "Single Trait Selection!"Hmmm :!: ...And after ALL of the discussions regarding Single Trait Selection", and the inadvisability and inappropriate selection decisions that entails. :?

That is a Phenotypically fine "LOOKING" bull. I am not privy to his EPD's per se, and know nothing about him other than what this picture depicts. But he portends to be a heavier bull than would be expedient in light of the current trend in seedstock selection protocols tending toward lighter weight cows (1200-1300 lbs) with an eye toward ... Hello :eek: Can you say, "PROFIT?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2hkboesc said:
RD-Sam":2hkboesc said:
Probably some arse!!! That would be why I would breed to him.
:???: ...and THAT is the ONLY reason you would breed a cow to that bull?? THAT would be "Single Trait Selection!"Hmmm :!: ...And after ALL of the discussions regarding Single Trait Selection", and the inadvisability and inappropriate selection decisions that entails. :?

That is a Phenotypically fine "LOOKING" bull. I am not privy to his EPD's per se, and know nothing about him other than what this picture depicts. But he portends to be a heavier bull than would be expedient in light of the current trend in seedstock selection protocols tending toward lighter weight cows (1200-1300 lbs) with an eye toward ... Hello :eek: Can you say, "PROFIT?

DOC HARRIS

Well Doc, you are always giving us a hard time about funnel butts, and this one doesn't have funnel butt. I thought the rest of the bull looked pretty darn good myself. There are no EPD's yet, since he is overseas, but I do believe they are working on that? Doesn't really look like a huge bull to me, but maybe the EPD will clear that up? It's also some fresh blood in the mix, could be a good thing, could be a bad thing, you would just have to try it and find out. I will try a breeding with him in the near future and see how it works out, maybe it will turn out better than my "Good calf"?

So much for Doc's theory that he isn't efficient! :lol2:

RD-Sam":1kkz04dk said:
-Red Dog Sam-

As usual, with your comments, you seem to be able to circumvent and misconstrue the factual meanings embedded in my posts! Retrace your perusal of my posts on this Thread wherein I commented about ..."THAT would be "Single Trait Selection!"...! CAREFULLY read the second paragraph relating to ..."..a Phenotypically fine "LOOKING" bull..." There is nothing mentioned or inferred or deduced or concluded in any way that Dunlouise Cortachy Boy D137 is not efficient - OR - that I "THEORIZED" that he isn't efficient. Nor did I submit an HYPOTHESIS to that effect.

Words mean things, RD-SAM, and perhaps you would be well advised to comprehend meanings and understand actualities prior to making assumptions or mis-interpreting rhetoric. I believe I alluded to these tendencies of your's several months ago when I was attempting to assist you in understanding the beef business. But, perhaps you didn't perceive my connotations at that time either. But, that is a moot subject now.

In regard to Dunlouise Cortachy Boy D137, (the immediate subject at the moment), in perusing his available statistics (EPD's, GeneST*R report, Pedigree, and relative detail statistics, AND the picture of his Dam), In My Opinion, we now have available information whereby we may be able to ascertain more pertinent assumptions that are relevant than were available at the beginning of this thread.

Appearance-wise, his Phenotype is EXCELLENT for a modern-day Angus Bull! He would seem to be able to help "rectify" some of the 'Phenotypically Skewed" representative genotypes present in the Angus breed today - namely those manifesting a perceptible lack of skeletal musculature, particularly in the hindquarters - voila' - FUNNEL BUTTS!

What we DON"T know about this bull (from these available statistics) are his actual WW, Frame Score, Marbling and/or Ribeye Epd's, and whether his current EPD's are desirable or accurate.

From a cursory standpoint, he seems to be able to assist SOME breeders in improving the Phenotype, Genotype and Functional Traits of their present herd status, certainly well enough to warrent taking a chance on "investigational" matings.

Using "outcrossing" within Breeds, such as this example, is how great revisions, amendments and reformations are accomplished by incorporating well-planned mating choices.

We all should keep an eye on "Cortachy Boy" in the future.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":bt1eloyd said:
RD-Sam":bt1eloyd said:
-Red Dog Sam-

As usual, with your comments, you seem to be able to circumvent and misconstrue the factual meanings embedded in my posts! Retrace your perusal of my posts on this Thread wherein I commented about ..."THAT would be "Single Trait Selection!"...! CAREFULLY read the second paragraph relating to ..."..a Phenotypically fine "LOOKING" bull..." There is nothing mentioned or inferred or deduced or concluded in any way that Dunlouise Cortachy Boy D137 is not efficient - OR - that I "THEORIZED" that he isn't efficient. Nor did I submit an HYPOTHESIS to that effect.

Words mean things, RD-SAM, and perhaps you would be well advised to comprehend meanings and understand actualities prior to making assumptions or mis-interpreting rhetoric. I believe I alluded to these tendencies of your's several months ago when I was attempting to assist you in understanding the beef business. But, perhaps you didn't perceive my connotations at that time either. But, that is a moot subject now.

In regard to Dunlouise Cortachy Boy D137, (the immediate subject at the moment), in perusing his available statistics (EPD's, GeneST*R report, Pedigree, and relative detail statistics, AND the picture of his Dam), In My Opinion, we now have available information whereby we may be able to ascertain more pertinent assumptions that are relevant than were available at the beginning of this thread.

Appearance-wise, his Phenotype is EXCELLENT for a modern-day Angus Bull! He would seem to be able to help "rectify" some of the 'Phenotypically Skewed" representative genotypes present in the Angus breed today - namely those manifesting a perceptible lack of skeletal musculature, particularly in the hindquarters - voila' - FUNNEL BUTTS!

What we DON"T know about this bull (from these available statistics) are his actual WW, Frame Score, Marbling and/or Ribeye Epd's, and whether his current EPD's are desirable or accurate.

From a cursory standpoint, he seems to be able to assist SOME breeders in improving the Phenotype, Genotype and Functional Traits of their present herd status, certainly well enough to warrent taking a chance on "investigational" matings.

Using "outcrossing" within Breeds, such as this example, is how great revisions, amendments and reformations are accomplished by incorporating well-planned mating choices.

We all should keep an eye on "Cortachy Boy" in the future.

DOC HARRIS

Doc, in the other post you made this statement, "But he portends to be a heavier bull than would be expedient in light of the current trend in seedstock selection protocols tending toward lighter weight cows (1200-1300 lbs) with an eye toward ... Hello Can you say, "PROFIT?".

I took this as what it sounded like, that being you think this bull is too big and heavy, therefore not efficient, also assumed by your "PROFIT" statement.

If there is anything that this bull is, it is efficient, judging by the EPD. If you study the picture you might come to the same conclusion that I came to, which is he is not all that large as far as frame size, but I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time. :banana: You could also go to the website and read a little about the owner of the bull, they breed cattle that get the maximum from minimal quality forage.

It all depends on who you talk to in regards to a trend too, some are still headed in the direction of bigger is better.

As far as the past, you and I just have different goals, and so far my goal is working out well for me, in fact I don't think it could get a whole lot better for a beginner. :tiphat:

DOC HARRIS":pw7r9qlk said:
RD-Sam":pw7r9qlk said:
-Red Dog Sam-

DOC HARRIS

Words do mean things Doc, and maybe I'm not the only one who needs some reading lessons, here is a quote from the person that started this thread, you will see more info about this bull, including frame size, which is a 5.0, maybe that stuck in the back of my mind, or maybe my eyes didn't deceive me when assuming a frame score?

"Thanks for the comments. Yes, he is Cortachy Boy and his semen is being marketed by Genex. There are no EPDs available yet but I did get the following information. He was 73 lbs at birth. His calves are averaging 80-85 lbs. He weighed 1188 at 400 days off of grass. His frame score mature is estimated to be approx. 5.0 and he weights 2360."

I just used him on a flush and a couple of other cows. (Cortachy Boy) Sometimes you just gotta throw 'em up on your shoulder and run for it. The flush was on a Gridmaker daughter.

Sizmic

Forgive me please, I forgot to add, be careful with the 1/4 cc straws! 2 went straight to the bottom of the tank before I through out the tweezers and grabbed my hemostats.

sizmic":2mdoy9lz said:
I just used him on a flush and a couple of other cows. (Cortachy Boy) Sometimes you just gotta throw 'em up on your shoulder and run for it. The flush was on a Gridmaker daughter.

Sizmic

Forgive me please, I forgot to add, be careful with the 1/4 cc straws! 2 went straight to the bottom of the tank before I through out the tweezers and grabbed my hemostats.

That's right, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do! :lol2:

Latest posts