Please let me know what you think of these.

Help Support CattleToday:

Cow is just Ok, I really like the bull. Cow has a nice level top with proper tailhead setting. Doesn't appear to have top end muslcing, but the bull does, so that may compensate for it. I hope she is an outstanding producer, but I would have her tested for AM before I do any sort of flushing. If she is a carrier, I sure wouldn't flush her.

KNERSIE":349g63dc said:
Who is the bull? Looks like the angus version of my main AI sire.

If you got a Hereford bull who looks like that, please tell me were to get it. hopefully EU exportable semen.....

I hate to speak for someone else, but I'm pretty sure that bull is Cortachy Boy. I started using him this week. The cow should benefit from him but I would be sure to test her, not so much to cancel the flush, but to know where to go after her calves are bred.

I would like to have some Hereford semen as well if he looks like that.

Sizmic

P.A.L":3jsdwo1u said:
KNERSIE":3jsdwo1u said:
Who is the bull? Looks like the angus version of my main AI sire.

If you got a Hereford bull who looks like that, please tell me were to get it. hopefully EU exportable semen.....

Semen not exportable to EU, infact not any semen currently available, busy trying to arrange to have him tapped again. Bull doesn't belong to me, unfortunately.

sizmic":10itc5wi said:
I hate to speak for someone else, but I'm pretty sure that bull is Cortachy Boy. I started using him this week. The cow should benefit from him but I would be sure to test her, not so much to cancel the flush, but to know where to go after her calves are bred.

I would like to have some Hereford semen as well if he looks like that.

Sizmic

How do they do the EPD on imported semen? SEK doesn't show him, where did you get the semen?

He doesn't have any epd's yet, maybe he might around the 13th or so. Semen is hard to come by now.

Sizmic

Thanks for the comments. Yes, he is Cortachy Boy and his semen is being marketed by Genex. There are no EPDs available yet but I did get the following information. He was 73 lbs at birth. His calves are averaging 80-85 lbs. He weighed 1188 at 400 days off of grass. His frame score mature is estimated to be approx. 5.0 and he weights 2360.

As for the cow. I did not think to tell you that the picture is an old one of her that I got from AAA. She is now 7 years old. weights 1790 lbs. exstreamily deep and large rump. Her EPDs are CED +10, BW +1.0, RE .16. She has prodigy ratios of WW 4@101 and YW 4@108. As for her being a daughter of 1680, we are keeping a close watch on that. There is a lot of different thoughts on that matter. Yes we will have her tested to see if she is a carrier. AAA is saying, at this time that the carriers seam to be double bred 1680, which she is not. I also read something interesting the other day on that subject. 1680 was one of the heaviest used bulls in Angus history because of his carcass scores. This writer said that if you used any bull, A, B or Z as heavy as they did 1680 you would have genetic defects with that bull. He went on, as how many fantastic sires or daughters came from 1680. Good food for thought. Like everyone else we are keeping a close watch on this. Finally my concern of breading this combination would be that the bull weights 2360 and the cow weights 1790. If the calf turned out to be a bull calf, (very interesting). If it was a heifer calf, (Is that the size that we want). I don't know, still thinking. PS. I talked to Genex yesterday and they have semen available at $40. straw.

If she is a daughter of 1680, she has a 50% chance of being a carrier, and her offspring will have a 25% chance of being a carrier.

What are you trying to get from the mateing? More beef or down size frame? Kinda a fire and ice deal to me, you can't get to much more of an outcross within the breed than that.I don't think I would flush her to him.If she was mine I might breed her to him,but I like 4-5 frame cows and I didn't like 1680 before the am deal.What do you do with the offspring?,breed them maternal and try to fix the type a little more? or breed them to something like their dam and try to retain some maternal value? I do think the calves would do well,but maybe not as seedstock,unless you keep going the direction of the bull.

With a total outcross like that, you will probably get a little bigger frame than the bull.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out why in the world you would flush that cow to Cortachy Boy?

You are talking two entirely different types of cattle. What do you think you are going to get?

Probably some arse!!! That would be why I would breed to him.

dawnrogerl":zbb82hlf said:
As for the cow. I did not think to tell you that the picture is an old one of her that I got from AAA. She is now 7 years old. weights 1790 lbs. exstreamily deep and large rump. Her EPDs are CED +10, BW +1.0, RE .16. She has prodigy ratios of WW 4@101 and YW 4@108. As for her being a daughter of 1680, we are keeping a close watch on that. There is a lot of different thoughts on that matter. Yes we will have her tested to see if she is a carrier. AAA is saying, at this time that the carriers seam to be double bred 1680, which she is not. I also read something interesting the other day on that subject. 1680 was one of the heaviest used bulls in Angus history because of his carcass scores. This writer said that if you used any bull, A, B or Z as heavy as they did 1680 you would have genetic defects with that bull. He went on, as how many fantastic sires or daughters came from 1680. Good food for thought.

First of all using a bull heavily does NOT increase the likelihood that a bull will produce genetic defects. He and everybody else (not exposed too large doses of radiation) die with the exact same genes we were born with. We also know now that he is not the originator of the defect. That would be Rito 9J9 or somewhere even further in the lineage. The reason a heavily used sire is more likely to be discovered as a carrier is that his progeny are much much more likely to be crossed to each other thus exposing the defect.

Secondly, what body condition score is this cow in? 1790 is getting awfully heavy too me.

Don't give up! :lol2: Maybe I should clear something up, I would try a test breeding before I did a flush, could be a waste of money and time, is that better? :dunce:

Brandonm you are right. She is heavy, very deep and large hind quarter. I would say she is a body condition score of about 7 - 7.5 As for the 1680 situation, you seem to have a lot newer information they I do. Sounds interesting and I will sure keep my eye on that. I agree that it would be a good idea to maybe AI her to Cortachy Boy, before flushing her.

Latest posts