Please Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_9956

Reaction score
I have this registered brindle Simbrah show steer that is continuously being classed out and I was wondering if anyone knew what the major characteristics of the breed are and how I could fix this problem? :?:

Find a knowledgable breeder or judge and have them give you a critique.

dun

I'm probably displaying my abundant ignorance on this subject, but I've seen quite a few Simbrah and I personally can't really recall seeing one that was "brindled up", or at least what I consider to be a "brindle". Are brindled Simbrah actually common? If not, maybe the judges believe there is some English blood in the genetic woodpile of your calf, which presumably wouldn't be allowed in the Simbrah breed? (Just a very wild a$$ guess)

What do you mean by "classed out"? Doesn't the judge tell you what he sees wrong with the calf?

Based on my experience with Simbrahs and showing, I'm going to guess the steer shows too much Brahman characteristics. Showing any type of Brahman influenced steer is tough, mainly because some calves show more Brahman than others. I suspect a lot of steers that are shown in those classes don't have any Brahman influence at all in their pedigree.

TheBullLady":pdtgt7sm said:
I suspect a lot of steers that are shown in those classes don't have any Brahman influence at all in their pedigree.

Don't all Simbrahs have Brahman influence in their pedigree???????? :?:

cowgirl_9956":1ns4rb32 said:
I have this registered brindle Simbrah show steer that is continuously being classed out and I was wondering if anyone knew what the major characteristics of the breed are and how I could fix this problem? :?:

Most desirable Simbrahs are Red and Blacks, with some white on them. I personally like the red goggle eyes. These do the best in the show rings.

The yellows, grays and brindle (though I have only every seen one purebred Simbrah) do not do well as far as the show ring.

1/2's, 3/4's and Purebred can be registered, is it a purebred?

Also, another reason it may be classed out is too much ear and navel.
Alot of the Simbrah breeders these days have bred to reduce navel.

Hope this may help some.

That is the requirement for the Houston Livestock Show for classifying a simbra steer. If he does not meet those qualifications then he will get classed out.

But, did you happen to see an ad in The Showbox a couple of months back of the ranch that bred the Champ or Reserve Simbrah at Houston last year. They said that his sire was a Maine. :oops:

Min. of 1/4 and/or max 3/4 simmental and/or Brahman characteristics w/no other breed represented. Must show Simbrah characteristics.

However, what ever the classifier's say, goes.

I've seen a Registered Purebred Simmental steer be reclassified at show as a Shorthorn because the classifier said that it had the coloring of a shorthorn.

txshowmom":17ruib3a said:
Dosen't matter what he IS only matters what he LOOKS like.

So if my kid brings in a Red Angus crossed with a Brahman and it has the features of a Simbrah, that means my kid can compete in the Simbrah classes, right?

txshowmom":222wa5x5 said:

rgv4":222wa5x5 said:
I've seen a Registered Purebred Simmental steer be reclassified at show as a Shorthorn because the classifier said that it had the coloring of a shorthorn.
And what valuable lesson does all of this teach our aspiring young cattle cattlemen?

Texan":1wij6bsq said:
txshowmom":1wij6bsq said:

rgv4":1wij6bsq said:
And what valuable lesson does all of this teach our aspiring young cattle cattlemen?

What exactly are you asking?

These comments were to explain that on show steers that it doesn't matter if they are a registered animal or not, each show has classifier's and what ever breed the classifier says that it is or looks like, is what class or breed that it is shown in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texan wrote:
txshowmom wrote:

rgv4 wrote:

What exactly are you asking?

These comments were to explain that on show steers that it doesn't matter if they are a registered animal or not, each show has classifier's and what ever breed the classifier says that it is or looks like, is what class or breed that it is shown in.

Yea I'd like to know what you are asking as well. If you are implying that people are "cheating" then think again. When you classify a steer there are several Ag teachers county agents or people that are well known in the cattle industry you tell them what breed your steer is and they look at it and either say yes or no. If they say yes then great if they say no then you either go into an AOB or a ABC class. If youdon't understand the classification system then read up on it and learn how it works. Steer shows are not a "purebred" show they are places in classes based only on what they "look like". In some of the breeds they need to only show 50% breed characteristics.

txshowmom":1cu5oqr8 said:
Yea I'd like to know what you are asking as well. If you are implying that people are "cheating" then think again.
Gee, showmom, don't be so defensive. And why do you bring up "cheating" when nobody even mentioned it? Let me try to clarify my question for you. The original post was about a registered Simbrah steer being classed out. Then RGV4 posted about a registered Sim steer that was reclassified. Now, if a kid knows that their steer is registered and what breed it is, what exactly are we teaching that kid when we let some overpaid figurehead like a county agent tell them that it doesn't matter what it is, only what it looks like? What lesson did that kid learn about the supposed extra value of a registered animal? What lesson did that kid learn about the integrity of registered breeders who sold them something that won't pass a phenotypical inspection for that breed? I'll agree with you that registered animals and registration papers are worthless. But shouldn't we teach that to kids before they get so far along with their projects? Maybe you're right about somebody being cheated. It seems to me like those kids and their parents would probably really feel cheated!

txshowmom":1cu5oqr8 said:
....you tell them what breed your steer is and they look at it and either say yes or no.
So, if they're gonna decide which class it belongs in anyway, why do you even "tell them what breed your steer is" if it doesn't even matter? If they're so smart, they should be able to tell you what breed it is.

Texan":3pdepgoc said:
txshowmom":3pdepgoc said:
Yea I'd like to know what you are asking as well. If you are implying that people are "cheating" then think again.
Gee, showmom, don't be so defensive. And why do you bring up "cheating" when nobody even mentioned it? Let me try to clarify my question for you. The original post was about a registered Simbrah steer being classed out. Then RGV4 posted about a registered Sim steer that was reclassified. Now, if a kid knows that their steer is registered and what breed it is, what exactly are we teaching that kid when we let some overpaid figurehead like a county agent tell them that it doesn't matter what it is, only what it looks like? What lesson did that kid learn about the supposed extra value of a registered animal? What lesson did that kid learn about the integrity of registered breeders who sold them something that won't pass a phenotypical inspection for that breed? I'll agree with you that registered animals and registration papers are worthless. But shouldn't we teach that to kids before they get so far along with their projects? Maybe you're right about somebody being cheated. It seems to me like those kids and their parents would probably really feel cheated!

txshowmom":3pdepgoc said:
....you tell them what breed your steer is and they look at it and either say yes or no.
So, if they're gonna decide which class it belongs in anyway, why do you even "tell them what breed your steer is" if it doesn't even matter? If they're so smart, they should be able to tell you what breed it is.

Texan this sounds like the show ring at it's finest moment, if you can't beat em Cheat em.

Texan and Caustic. Maybe you guys should go back and read all the post to this question. The question was about a Reg. steer getting classed out of the Simbrah breed at the shows. Showmom and RGV were just giving examples and explanations on how the steer shows works.

Most registered brahman type steers don't cost that much anyway. The steers that cost the big money are the exotic and english crosses that the majority of the time win the shows, not the brahman.

As far as the classifiers go, it's not the kids showing or their parents that have anything to do with them, it's the livestock show management that hire them and if you want to show, you have to go by their rules. Everybody knows that, that is why they have rule books for the shows.

Latest posts