Please Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan and Caustic. Maybe you guys should go back and read all the post to this question. The question was about a Reg. steer getting classed out of the Simbrah breed at the shows. Showmom and RGV were just giving examples and explanations on how the steer shows works.

Most registered brahman type steers don't cost that much anyway. The steers that cost the big money are the exotic and english crosses that the majority of the time win the shows, not the brahman.

As far as the classifiers go, it's not the kids showing or their parents that have anything to do with them, it's the livestock show management that hire them and if you want to show, you have to go by their rules. Everybody knows that, that is why they have rule books for the shows.

Thank you. I don't write the rules I just FOLLOW them! :mad:

mobetter11":259zvekj said:
Texan and Caustic. Maybe you guys should go back and read all the post to this question. The question was about a Reg. steer getting classed out of the Simbrah breed at the shows.
Mobetter, maybe you're the one that should review the posts. If you had been paying attention, you would know that I had already mentioned the original question when I posted this:
Texan":259zvekj said:
The original post was about a registered Simbrah steer being classed out. Then RGV4 posted about a registered Sim steer that was reclassified.

Most registered brahman type steers don't cost that much anyway. The steers that cost the big money are the exotic and english crosses that the majority of the time win the shows, not the brahman.
Amazing! Why do you showpeople always try to relate everything back to who spends the most money on a kid's project? Everyone knows that Brahman cattle are not worth as much. Commercial cattlemen have experienced that for years. But a lot of kids and parents spend their hard-earned money on Brahman cross steers. To those kids and parents, they might have made an investment that is just as large in relation to their income and resources as the $3,500 prospect is to you big spending, big operators. Or maybe they just didn't know that it was really all about winning at any cost. Why is it always about the "big money" for you guys? Why is it always about winning? What about what's good for the kid? Do they still count?

As far as the classifiers go, it's not the kids showing or their parents that have anything to do with them, it's the livestock show management that hire them and if you want to show, you have to go by their rules. Everybody knows that, that is why they have rule books for the shows.
Apparently the kids showing and their parents do have something to do with the classifiers. That's what this thread is about. Remember? As for the "rules," don't you think that they may be intended more for the protection of the shows and the show management? Not for the benefit of the kids?

Now, you and showmom may think that you have successfully evaded the simple questions I posted for you. If you don't have the answers for me, that's okay. If you know the answers and just don't want to talk about them, I can understand that, too. But just in case you've forgotten, I'm going to quote them again for you. Maybe somebody else would like to take a stab at them:
Texan":259zvekj said:
.......if a kid knows that their steer is registered and what breed it is, what exactly are we teaching that kid when we let some overpaid figurehead like a county agent tell them that it doesn't matter what it is, only what it looks like? What lesson did that kid learn about the supposed extra value of a registered animal? What lesson did that kid learn about the integrity of registered breeders who sold them something that won't pass a phenotypical inspection for that breed? I'll agree with you that registered animals and registration papers are worthless. But shouldn't we teach that to kids before they get so far along with their projects?

Texan":3lungeln said:
.......if a kid knows that their steer is registered and what breed it is, what exactly are we teaching that kid when we let some overpaid figurehead like a county agent tell them that it doesn't matter what it is, only what it looks like? What lesson did that kid learn about the supposed extra value of a registered animal? What lesson did that kid learn about the integrity of registered breeders who sold them something that won't pass a phenotypical inspection for that breed? I'll agree with you that registered animals and registration papers are worthless. But shouldn't we teach that to kids before they get so far along with their projects?
[/quote]

My post about the Simm steer was given as an example.

Answers to your questions:

1. First, most ranchers don't register their steers. If they ever do, then the steer has all the characteristics of that particular breed and will not, the majority of the time, be reclassified. It clearly states in all rule books that the decision of the classifier's is final. So if you want to play, gotta read and know all the rules before you buy and show. That's what we are teaching them.

2. There is no extra value in a registered steer. They can't reproduce. The only registered animals that have extra value are heifers, cows and bulls.

3. The kids and parents should know all the rules of the particular show that the steer will be shown at when they go out to look for the steer, so that way they know what they need to buy. Most ranchers won't sell you something that you are not looking for. FFA teacher's and CEA's are more than happy to take a look at a kid's animal to give their opinions. Most ranchers don't register steers.

4. That is what I teach my kids. However, alot of the kids that show steers and heifers are doing it through their FFA classes and live in towns, they keep their animals at a FFA barn, they no nothing about cattle and are going completely off of what their FFA teachers are telling them.

I don't register steers, waste of registration money. Most of the big ranchers don't register steers either.

These are my answer's to your questions.

rgv4":2t3x5fox said:

1. First, most ranchers don't register their steers. If they ever do, then the steer has all the characteristics of that particular breed and will not, the majority of the time, be reclassified. It clearly states in all rule books that the decision of the classifier's is final. So if you want to play, gotta read and know all the rules before you buy and show. That's what we are teaching them.

2. There is no extra value in a registered steer. They can't reproduce. The only registered animals that have extra value are heifers, cows and bulls.

3. The kids and parents should know all the rules of the particular show that the steer will be shown at when they go out to look for the steer, so that way they know what they need to buy. Most ranchers won't sell you something that you are not looking for. FFA teacher's and CEA's are more than happy to take a look at a kid's animal to give their opinions. Most ranchers don't register steers.

4. That is what I teach my kids. However, alot of the kids that show steers and heifers are doing it through their FFA classes and live in towns, they keep their animals at a FFA barn, they no nothing about cattle and are going completely off of what their FFA teachers are telling them.

I don't register steers, waste of registration money. Most of the big ranchers don't register steers either.

originally some breeds of steers were classed according to registrations and certificates. some were also blood-typed & classed accordingly (or were blood-typed at the show & if shown as a certain breed & didn't blood-type were disqualified).

my guess is they chose to do away w/registrations & certificates, not as rgv4 stated.....that "steers don't reproduce & have no extra value" but because people were walking up w/their steers who clearly had other breed characteristics but had the papers saying it was registered. i'm certainly not saying all the steer breeders were dishonest or selling "iffy" genetics but it probably wouldn't take very many for everyone else to yell & cry "foul".

There is a HUGE difference between a heifer or bull show and a "MARKET" steer show. A steer show is NOT a registerd animal show. They are ALL crosses. Maybe the person who sold the kid the steer knew that iot wouldn't class Simbra so they gave the kid the papers to make him think it would. We have bopught lots of steers over the years and we have NEVER had a breeder guarantee that a steer would class a certian way. Read and UNDERSTAND the rules before you play the game. Beacuse thats what it is a game. Its a roll of the dice as to who will win, you take your chaces when you walk in the ring.

A very poor one. I saw this when i taught school. And now as a parent my kids have experienced it also with their sheep. No animal is amuned to it in the comercial barn. I have seen heifers that show as registered and not be true. One example was with a shorthorn that wasreally 1/2 Main. The only thing I know is you can protest them and do a aprentage check. Comercialy in the steer barn no dice. What ever the classifier says goes. One week they may make it and the next they don't. Politics and gamesmanship at its finest. :mad: :mad:

Scotty

Politics and gamesmanship at its finest.

Maybe so but your going to run into that in EVERY arena in life that you enter. May not be right but its going to be there. Accept it or don't its you choice.

Texan":1mtic0qb said:

The problem is that the classifiers aren't necessarily as good at identifying breeds as they should be.
We have the same problem in our County Fair (State Fair too), one year the classifier for the cattle was a goat breeder, another year it was a guy that raised Llamas.
I'm sure these people were well meaning and doing their best, but that doesn't change the fact that they had no idea of what they were doing when working outside their chosen species.

Ann B

My true only gripe is when its doen because an animal is better and for personal reasons. We deel with it and go on. Your right it is life. But cheating is cheating and wrong is wrong. No wonder SOME of the children in this country act this way. They were taught and show the ropes.

Scotty

Thats not at all what I meant. I don't like some of the things that happen at the shows but there is not a darn think I can do to change it. We tell our kids to forgwet about it, do the best they can, and keep their chin held high because they didn't lie cheat or steal to get where they are. We teach them that you have to work hard to get what you want and that life is not FAIR. Sometime bad things happen to good people but if you get upset about it then "they" win. Standing up for whats right is good to do, but you have to choose you battles. You can't go into a showbarn and start accusing people of cheating and lying because those are the people that "run" the show and they can get you blacklisted at every show in the country. We want our kids to have a fair shake and that will never happen if they are watching for you when ytou walk through the door.

Yes she is. This is another area of scratching one fellows back. And the "who you know".

txag":8ujdsz2i said:
rgv4":8ujdsz2i said:

originally some breeds of steers were classed according to registrations and certificates. some were also blood-typed & classed accordingly (or were blood-typed at the show & if shown as a certain breed & didn't blood-type were disqualified).

my guess is they chose to do away w/registrations & certificates, not as rgv4 stated.....that "steers don't reproduce & have no extra value" but because people were walking up w/their steers who clearly had other breed characteristics but had the papers saying it was registered. i'm certainly not saying all the steer breeders were dishonest or selling "iffy" genetics but it probably wouldn't take very many for everyone else to yell & cry "foul".

I was answering the question of what did the kid learn about the supposed extra value of a registered animal. That is they have no extra value being registered because they don't reproduce. They are worth the same as a cross bred steer is. Just because they have a piece of paper, don't mean squat.

The question wasn't why the shows did away with the reg. breed classes.
First of all no one is going to cut a registered calf if it is good enough to make a bull out of. There is usually something undesirable in the characteristics of the calf if it's cut, bound for the freezer. That's why they are called Market Steer shows.

The shows these days have too many steers entered to blood type all that are shown. So they just blood type the winners, and that is just mainly to make sure there aren't any unauthorized drugs in their systems.

rgv4":3ship6k2 said:
First of all no one is going to cut a registered calf if it is good enough to make a bull out of. There is usually something undesirable in the characteristics of the calf if it's cut, bound for the freezer. That's why they are called Market Steer shows.

Sure they cut Reg. calves that are good enough to make a bull out of.
Where do you think many of these $3,000.00 to $10,000.00 and higher steers come from. The guys paying that kind of money for steers certainly isn't going to buy an animal, that has undesirable characateristics to bring to a show that he wants to win.

la4angus":3friq8zl said:
rgv4":3friq8zl said:

Sure they cut Reg. calves that are good enough to make a bull out of.
Where do you think many of these $3,000.00 to $10,000.00 and higher steers come from. The guys paying that kind of money for steers certainly isn't going to buy an animal, that has undesirable characateristics to bring to a show that he wants to win.

We are discussing Brahman type (Simbrah) steers. Not Exotic's or English. Most of the high dollar steers are out of Club Calf bulls, that are a mixture of breeds. If a rancher is getting high dollar for his steer's, then he is breeding just for that purpose (English/Exotic) How many times have you seen a Brahman type steer win a major show? If ever, few and far in between.

How many times have you seen a Brahman type steer win a major show? If ever, few and far in between.

While I agree with darn near everything you say...... it was a Simbra thet was Reserve Grand Champion at San Antonio last year. But ...... it was a fluke.

I remembered that after I wrote that, but like you said that was just a fluke.

txshowmom":27iz21en said:
There is a HUGE difference between a heifer or bull show and a "MARKET" steer show. A steer show is NOT a registerd animal show. They are ALL crosses. .

This post shows that we are talking about Market steer shows, and not just about simbrah's.
And no showmom. They are not ALL crosses.

Latest posts