Please help

Help Support CattleToday:

hog_n_dos

Reaction score
Please help me!!!

I recently got a new dog. She is a few months old and is and Aust. Shepard. She has been chaseing my chickens. I have corrected her many times. She has still been doning it. My son just went out side and found a dead chicken that the dog had cornered under the porch. She killed it!! what can I do to teach my dog to stop. I don't know what to do. I have been told to tie the chicken around the dogs neck. I am not so sure about that. does that work? or what will? help me I love the chickens and my dog.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. She has already killed her first chicken shes already tasted blood and in my honest opinion the situation is hopeless. I have tried using a sling shot with a rock or a piece of wood and hittin my aussie in the arse when she thought about it. At first it worked then she got smarter and just ignored the shots to the butt. Then I tried tying the chicken around her neck big mistake and 300 dollar vet bill later not worth it. Nothing works when they get that first taste of blood. The only thing I suggest is putting the dog in a kennel or put the chickens up where she cant get to them or the third option call Ceaser Millian hes a miracle worker.

Get a shock collar and zap the dog every time it goes after a bird. Set it on the highest setting and be sure the contacts touch the skin. You may need to shave the area. I have seen any breed of dog broken from going any where near a snake useing this method. Lived in Arizona and rattlers were a problem there for quail dogs.

I've broke dogs of killing chickens before... nothing nice about it though.

Herding dogs chase, often things you don't want them to, that's why I wouldn't own one personally. What you want to do is take away one of the strongest instincts an Aus. Shep. has - not going to be easy. What I would try (and I am in no way an expert is to start with the basics - obedience. Get that dog so that it obeys everything you say without questioning it. Do sit, stay, come etc. Most importantly you teach a "leave it" command. Grab your dogs favourite food in the whole world and put it down and then teach the dog to leave it until you decide he can have it. Not until then. Then you work on something your dog wants and you tell her to leave it and he just doesn't get it, you can give something else instead. Then you can try it with the chickens. What you say has to override whatever instinct your dog has, that is good training.

You don't want to hear this.....

Take that dead chicken and beat your dog with it until the legs are about to come off. Then, tie that chicken around the dogs neck and leave it there till it rots off.

Your dog won't ever want to even see another chicken.

Don't ask me how I know this works.

grannysoo":x77gwbuo said:

Take that dead chicken and beat your dog with it until the legs are about to come off. Then, tie that chicken around the dogs neck and leave it there till it rots off.

Didn;t work with the healer I had. I got tired of hanging chickens around it's neck. Even with a dead rotten oner hanging it would still catch and kill more.

dun":2ywejvvr said:
grannysoo":2ywejvvr said:

Didn;t work with the healer I had. I got tired of hanging chickens around it's neck. Even with a dead rotten oner hanging it would still catch and kill more.

Perhaps you didn't get its attention before you hung it around the dogs neck. I can shake a chicken at my dog and he tucks tail and slinks off.

You might also want to try the shock collar route. I have heard that they are good for training.

By the way dun, what's your new avatar?

grannysoo":3q0virtk said:
By the way dun, what's your new avatar?

A pair of woolyworms. One solid black (horrible severe winter), one almost white kind orangey white (no idea what kind of winter that one means)

Im with you grannysoo, beat that dog with a dead chicken till there are NO feathers left. Never had enough of the chicken left to hang around their neck, but a shock collar might work also. Dogs that dont obey dont last long around here.

angie":1285d3gn said:
milkmaid":1285d3gn said:
I've broke dogs of killing chickens before... nothing nice about it though.
Same here.
My Aussie killed a chicken. Once.

Our heeler was caught mauling a hen in the henpen, hadn't killed it.. he got a thrashing from my dad and from then on, he was cured... if you said "chicken" he'd run.. yeah, it's not nice, but he was a good dog in every other way, and he only had to learn it once..

Sounds like the day one of my labs forgot what there job was with cattle and started to run after one. We use the 2 as live gates and to keep cows off the water sled, mineral sled, clear a path for truck or tracker, and off the creep feeder when were moving them. It wasn't pretty and were scared of the cows for a few weeks but they learned the hard way.

I want chickens so I can have fresh eggs with out stopping at the barn down the road a few times a week. :roll: :)

I did the beat the dog with the dead chicken thing and it worked. I also had a weiner dog that just freaked out when she saw the chickens. Stood at the pen and barked her a$$ off for hours. Finally, I thought that if she was so tough, I'd put her in the pen with them and I did. They were big chickens and she was a tiny dog. I left her in there until they got her cornered and then I rescued her. Problem solved.

My dogs now will chase chickens until the chickens start to chase back and then they run.

Neighbors had a Jack Russel that was killing my chickens and chicks. I talked and talked to them about it until finally one day I took two of the chickens she had just killed and I delivered them to their yard and left them there. They got the picture. And the dog went away.

The neighbor would come over and complain because their dog had been eating poo and then throwing it up in the house. Simple solution. Either keep her penned or find another home for her. Dogs eat disgusting things like poo.

Our pup killed 5 of ours!
we kept correcting her over and over she has FINALLY grown out of it...its like it just clicked one day.
oh wait i am supposed to guarding them not eating them!
also when we used to give her eggs...we stopped that and it has helped.
don't give up on her she will come around...ooh one thing try a citronella collar with a remote control....when she goes near them hit the remote and it will spray her face so every time she sees a chicken she will associate the with the spray
they hate it.

I dont belive in the whole "got the taste of blood and now wont stop" theroy. My dog eats freah beef, venison, chicken...whatever might be slaughtered that day, and he dont chase none of them. What i do belive in is buying the correct breed for your family. Aussies are herding dogs, they are BRED to chase. If you didnt want a dog to chase, you can train it out of them, but it starts at 8 weeks old, not months old. It also takes a GOOD obeience regumine. Training every day, sometimes twice a day. Try to find a class in your area to join. Basic commands like LEAVE IT, Down and Stay work wonders in this situation. Its not going to be easy at all, but it can be done.

hog_n_dos":222cnldd said:
Please help me!!!

I recently got a new dog. She is a few months old and is and Aust. Shepard. She has been chaseing my chickens. I have corrected her many times. She has still been doning it. My son just went out side and found a dead chicken that the dog had cornered under the porch. She killed it!! what can I do to teach my dog to stop. I don't know what to do. I have been told to tie the chicken around the dogs neck. I am not so sure about that. does that work? or what will? help me I love the chickens and my dog.

Another one post wonder thread

Real concerned about the dog.

Perhaps s/he finally gave up and just shot it.

Probably reading but not responding

Bez+

My Lucy has never bothered our Chickens but she did pick up eggs and eat them. Our little Jack Russell is afraid of the Chickens. Simon did attack the Rooster when it chased my little Grand daughter. Simon had a mouth full of tail feathers. The Rooster chased her the second time and I shot him with the 4.10. End of problem.
Tom.

Latest posts