Please help with no milk

Help Support CattleToday:

otis07

Reaction score
I have 5 heifers due to calve in the next week, problem is they are showing no signs of getting there milk. Had one calve on monday and maybe could get a cup or 2 out of her. I am feeding them free choice 3rd cutting alfalfa and prairie hay, protein tub, iodized salt and today i started feeding them 7lbs of whole corn mixed with bean meal. All help or comments are appreciated

What kind of condition are they in, hog fat, skinny or just well covered? Some heifers don;t come into their milk right away but by now the monday heifer should be milking pretty well. I would recommend you get enough of the facotry made colostrum and have it on hand and get it into the calves as soon as you can after birth. Then watch and see if they are nursing ok and getting adequate milk

1st calf is now a bottle calf, i put the calf with mom hoping to stimulate her but not workin to well. I have colostrum on standby. I would say they arent hog fat but maybe more than well covered.

Do you know the genetics of these heifers? How did their mothers milk, are their sires from a milking line?

No I dont, bought them at the sale barn, I talked to the prevous owner and he said he has had good luck with the bulls that he has been breeding his heifers to. I dont know if he buys them from others breeds them and sells them or if they are his own.

otis07":2h1o570i said:
No I dont, bought them at the sale barn,

That may be why they were sold.

I am not exactly sure what he meant " having good luck with his bulls being bred to heifers". I guess that he meant that they didn't have problems calving.

How well the bulls do with heifers does not have anything to do with how the cow milks.

ETA: a beef cow does not produce as much milk as a dairy cow. If you leave the calf on the cow, the more frequently the calf nurses, the more it stimulates the cow to make more milk. That is one reason some dairies that have high producing cows milk 3 times a day.

Good luck.

Latest posts