Please help sick heiffer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, Can anyone diagnose the problem with our heiffer. She's an Angus about 12 months old. Yesterday (Saturday) She just lay down in the paddock. When we reached her she was on a hill with her head pointing downhill, she had a white foam (tinged with green) coming from her nose. We administered a 4 in 1 drip, by inserting a syringe in the skin under her neck. We gave her 350ml over about 45 minutes. She didn't respond, so we got her up to our hay shed and propped her up into a sitting position. She ate a little hay and drank quite a lot of water, she seems to be alert as far as eye movement and moves her ears when we enter the barn. We've been giving her water all day which she drinks willingly. She still can't stand up and just lies with her head tucked into her side. Her breathing is regular although a little shallow. She seems extremely tired. Be glad to hear of any ideas as to what may be wrong with her and how we can help. I have consulted the vet who told me he didn't think he could do anything for her!

[email protected]

Ok, the reason she had foam coming from her nose which was tinged with green is that she had rumen contents there and was likely slightly bloated--positional entrapment. But that doesn't explain how she is still down now. Without knowing a thing about your operation, it's really difficult to figure anything out. The 4 in one--was that Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and dextrose? If not, what was it??? She could be hypocalcemic (they are weak and tuck their head in,also the eyelids "snap" shut), but the age is wrong. She could be toxic--even a ruptured abomasum, plant poisonings...it could be lead. There are SO many different things this could be. In this area, I'd have to have rabies on the list.

If you haven't done so, a thorough physical exam by a competant veterinarian should be done. Then that person will advise whether bloodwork is likely to help...if she's dead, and there are other animals, DEFINITELY get a post mortem exam done!! If you can clarify what you've given, maybe I can help a bit more!

Good Luck! V

> Ok, the reason she had foam coming
> from her nose which was tinged
> with green is that she had rumen
> contents there and was likely
> slightly bloated--positional
> entrapment. But that doesn't
> explain how she is still down now.
> Without knowing a thing about your
> operation, it's really difficult
> to figure anything out. The 4 in
> one--was that Calcium, Magnesium,
> Phosphorus and dextrose? If not,
> what was it??? She could be
> hypocalcemic (they are weak and
> tuck their head in,also the
> eyelids "snap" shut),
> but the age is wrong. She could be
> toxic--even a ruptured abomasum,
> plant poisonings...it could be
> lead. There are SO many different
> things this could be. In this
> area, I'd have to have rabies on
> the list.

> If you haven't done so, a thorough
> physical exam by a competant
> veterinarian should be done. Then
> that person will advise whether
> bloodwork is likely to help...if
> she's dead, and there are other
> animals, DEFINITELY get a post
> mortem exam done!! If you can
> clarify what you've given, maybe I
> can help a bit more!

> Good Luck! V Thanks for responding. Yes the 4 in 1 wasThe 4 in one--was Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and dextrose. Her eyes are wide open and she seems quite alert as far as eye and ear movememt goes. We are running 75 head of beef cattle at Carrajung in Melbourne Victoria. We bought the property last September. As far as we know the toxic plants are Bracken Fern and Ragwort, feed is a little low right now, so she could have eaten either one of these. All the other cattle seem to be in good condition. Be glad to hear any suggestions. Thanks again. Lorraine

[email protected]

Maybe your animal has swallowed steel.Old nails steeples or whatever.If so the outcome will not be good as you probably know.Just a suggestion who knows.Good luck

[email protected]

Latest posts