Please help Lost one day old calf..

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214":31lca1jr said:
UPDATE!!! Well Momma must have said the right things last night. Momma and calf standing together this morning. Pretty crazy because that calf had gone through 4 sets of fence and momma wouldn't go close to wear the calf had gone. So after 200 ticks, falling on my face multiple times, and waking up looking like I have been through a meat grinder. Of course she ran into the thickest woods on the whole farm. I'm one happy fella. Valuable lesson learned here for me. I will not make the mistake I made yesterday again. Thanks for all of yalls support and prayers for the lil girl it worked. Thanks again.
I know the feeling. I noticed ours were seemed more skittish afterwards. Amazing what natraul instinct does.

Nesikep":m7wsshl5 said:
Perhaps he was waiting for you to leave!

That was my thinking also, sometimes during calving and cases like this we get too helpful and cause more harm then good. I know I have been guilty of it. Most of the time they seem to work things out on their own.

My problems is changing pastures. Baby gets wild eyed and you can run them a mile if you are not careful. Generally I bring the dam back across and then they go back together.

Patience is the key with cattle. Slow and easy. If someone jumps or hoots, I am in trouble in no time.

Dega Moo":1nlw628h said:
This probably will sound flat out dumb but what the heck: I've seen one of my cowboys go near or around a newborn and bawl like a calf and then watch as several of the cows will come running to see what's up and the mother to come and claim the calf. I don't think he sounds a whole lot like a calf but then he's not trying to convince me. You might give it a try and see if momma doesn't come looking for that calf. If she does she'll probably be able to call it home.
Doesn't sound dumb at all. That's how I do it. You don't even have to be all that close to a calf. They will come at a trot if not a dead run and then once they get confused they will turn off and go hunt their calf down and grab it and get out of town.
You don't want to do it with the babysitter cow as you'd likely get your a$$ handed to you and cause a bunch of ruckus over nothing but it works REALLY well when You're trying to pair up grazing cows with babies young enough to hide.

cow pollinater":tn8u6cfb said:
Dega Moo":tn8u6cfb said:
This probably will sound flat out dumb but what the heck: I've seen one of my cowboys go near or around a newborn and bawl like a calf and then watch as several of the cows will come running to see what's up and the mother to come and claim the calf. I don't think he sounds a whole lot like a calf but then he's not trying to convince me. You might give it a try and see if momma doesn't come looking for that calf. If she does she'll probably be able to call it home.
Doesn't sound dumb at all. That's how I do it. You don't even have to be all that close to a calf. They will come at a trot if not a dead run and then once they get confused they will turn off and go hunt their calf down and grab it and get out of town.
You don't want to do it with the babysitter cow as you'd likely get your a$$ handed to you and cause a bunch of ruckus over nothing but it works REALLY well when You're trying to pair up grazing cows with babies young enough to hide.

If you have several calves, jsut grab another one and throw it on its side. When it bellers, they'll all charge. Turn it lose and let them go to hunting. Doesn't work when a calf has crossed three fences and headed to the next county. Dam doesn't know where to look and it is not where she left it.

backhoeboogie":11q1oi0u said:
If you have several calves, jsut grab another one and throw it on its side. When it bellers, they'll all charge. Turn it lose and let them go to hunting. Doesn't work when a calf has crossed three fences and headed to the next county. Dam doesn't know where to look and it is not where she left it.
Then you've got one calf which will always look at you sideways!!! I'm not nearly big enough to throw calves around anyway. Easier to make a calf-like noise; they get upset enough about that.

Glad you/she found it!

I just went and spent a few hours at the farm. I give all my cows a little grain maybe once a week or so just to keep then happy. Well I was shaking the bucket calling them and here comes momma with her little girl running from a far pasture to me. I drove to her and after a few head swings she was eating out of my hand with baby at her side. She took the calf into some pines near the heard. I have a group of heifers I'm gonna keep and this one is going in it. Momma is a sim/angus cross and a big girl. Her calf is first I have had with her and looks great. Im so glad it all worked out I'm hoping I get many years out of both of these girls. Im 33 and getting married this year last 4 have all been heifers. Maybe its a sign

hicky214":ysy68mxl said:
I just went and spent a few hours at the farm. I give all my cows a little grain maybe once a week or so just to keep then happy. Well I was shaking the bucket calling them and here comes momma with her little girl running from a far pasture to me. I drove to her and after a few head swings she was eating out of my hand with baby at her side. She took the calf into some pines near the heard. I have a group of heifers I'm gonna keep and this one is going in it. Momma is a sim/angus cross and a big girl. Her calf is first I have had with her and looks great. Im so glad it all worked out I'm hoping I get many years out of both of these girls. Im 33 and getting married this year last 4 have all been heifers. Maybe its a sign

:D

Latest posts