please help identify!

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I planted a new pasture mix this spring and need help identifying this plant in picture. the mix consisted of
TCFNIX7.jpg

OIbPizC.jpg

TL9qAxl.jpg

I know nothing about the other seeds in the guarantee but this looks like plain old Johnson grass to me. That's using the SWAG method.

TexasBred":2ydmu03g said:
I know nothing about the other seeds in the guarantee but this looks like plain old Johnson grass to me. That's using the SWAG method.
Boy wouldn't that stink! Whatever it is looks like he got a good stand. Well sort of depends I guess.....

Lopks like common barnyard grass to me. If it's in a fairly wet area I would bet that is what it is.
Google barnyard grass and look at the pictures

I hate to disagree with a fellow Texan, but that's not Johnson grass. The seed heads don't look right. The seeds are too round and too close together, and growing as green and lush as that is Johnson grass won't go to seed until it's 3 or 4 feet tall.

I thought it might be Johnson grass too. But after Dun said barnyardgrass, I think he may be right. We have been extremely wet and where this grass really took off has been really wet spots.

So if its barnyard grass in the pasture whats my course of action? herbicide? mow? not sure what to do next?

is it harmful to preg cows?

I would justignore it. The cows will eat it, never heardof any health issues with it. It isn;t their favorite but if there isn;t much else they do clean it up pretty well.

That is what we call barnyard grass. I kinda like it myself. Graze it, or cut it for hay, before it all goes to seed. It seems to be more palatable to them when it's in a juvenile stage. You've probably always had it, but a wet year brings it to life.

Bigfoot":1evcr7qo said:
That is what we call barnyard grass. I kinda like it myself. Graze it, or cut it for hay, before it all goes to seed. It seems to be more palatable to them when it's in a juvenile stage. You've probably always had it, but a wet year brings it to life.
My thoughts also. Climate variables will bring out stuff that you've never seen before. This year we have timothy all over the place, never has been any before. A couple of years ago we had a type of ragweed that is pretty much unknown in MO. Had it in bunch of places, haven;t seen it since that one year.

Rafter S":10cmaelj said:
I hate to disagree with a fellow Texan, but that's not Johnson grass. The seed heads don't look right. The seeds are too round and too close together, and growing as green and lush as that is Johnson grass won't go to seed until it's 3 or 4 feet tall.
:lol: It was a guess.

That's Dallis grass. Considered a weed. It is susceptible to the Ergot fungus in the seed heads that cause Dallis grass staggers. We mow it down before it goes to seed if possible. They don't like to eat it when it gets tall if they have other stuff to eat.
But the staggers is a risk if it gets the fungus and they enjoy eating it.

Oh and it gets a black tary substance that sticks all over my horses, plus the seeds are good about getting into their eyes!
I have it all over my irrigated pasture. It does like the wettest areas.

BryanM":1bt811sc said:
I thought it might be Johnson grass too. But after Dun said barnyardgrass, I think he may be right. We have been extremely wet and where this grass really took off has been really wet spots.

So if its barnyard grass in the pasture whats my course of action? herbicide? mow? not sure what to do next?

is it harmful to preg cows?

If you plan on waging war against any grass other than what you plant then I got news for you........

It could be some of the varieties listed on the tag. I have never heard of any on them and cannot find any information on them with the exception of the ones selling the seed.

Barnyardgrass. My cows like it...so I do, too.
I'm thinking that at some point in the past, the Noble Foundation was(and may still be) doing some work with it - and was even combining (and may selling?) seed for use in wet spots.

Like dun said, some years, stuff just 'appears'.
Had been kind of on the lookout for some dallisgrass seed several years back to plant for a summer forage boost... then, two years ago, it just 'showed up' in my pastures in a big way!
Have used some timothy through the years - mainly mixed in with clover seed so that I could get better distribution (seeds are about the same size, but timothy is a lot cheaper) of the clover through my broadcast seeder. The timothy never lasts long, and within a year or two, you just see a seed head here and there. But... there's quite a bit out there this year - and some in spots where I've never (intentionally) sown any.

NOT Dallisgrass (Paspalum dilatatum), I concur with others that this is barnyard grass (Echinochloa crusgalli). The seed head is all wrong to be DG. Dallis' seed heads are more spread out, not so close together and angled up like with Barnyard grass. Dallisgrass reminds me more of Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis) with more of the "stems" than Bouteloua would have and certainly not blue like Bouetoula. Barnyard grass and that grass in the OP, by appearances alone, looks like it crossed with slough grass (Beckmannia syzigachne) and a large sedge.

For pictures and physical descriptive comparison, this is for barnyard grass: http://extension.psu.edu/pests/weeds/we ... nyardgrass
and for dallisgrass: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/dallisgrass.html

And I apologize for the latin names, but as a self-confessed total rangeland sciences nerd I tend to identify plant species more by their latin names than their common ones.

Karin":1trjzq56 said:
NOT Dallisgrass (Paspalum dilatatum), I concur with others that this is barnyard grass (Echinochloa crusgalli). The seed head is all wrong to be DG. Dallis' seed heads are more spread out, not so close together and angled up like with Barnyard grass. Dallisgrass reminds me more of Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis) with more of the "stems" than Bouteloua would have and certainly not blue like Bouetoula. Barnyard grass and that grass in the OP, by appearances alone, looks like it crossed with slough grass (Beckmannia syzigachne) and a large sedge.

For pictures and physical descriptive comparison, this is for barnyard grass: http://extension.psu.edu/pests/weeds/we ... nyardgrass
and for dallisgrass: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/dallisgrass.html

And I apologize for the latin names, but as a self-confessed total rangeland sciences nerd I tend to identify plant species more by their latin names than their common ones.
I'm no wizard but the strange looking seed heads was the dead giveaway for me. The almost look like they're kind of thorny or prickly looking.

Latest posts