Please give this newbie advice on a calf Im worried about.

Help Support CattleToday:

Seamfloater

Reaction score
We have helped raise beef on occasion at the in laws house, but this is our firt here at home from scratch.

Normally I would read and read and aread to not waste peoples time, but since we are talking about an animal, I need quicker info.

We bought a 5 month old jersey/angus cross yesterday. She was a bottle baby, and with several other cLfs her age and younger.

Brought her home and she seemed a little listless to me. Figured maybe it was the 5 mile trailer ride home. Wasnt real interested in grain or grass hay.

Today is about the same. Not interested in eating and stood/layed in the corner of the pasture.

When I got home I pushed her back down towards the barn and she drank alot at least. No signs of dehydration. However she still walks a little drunk for a 5 month old in my humble opinion based on nothing more than gut feeling.

She has a little snot color goop in her eyes as well as some mucus in the nose.

Im going to keep her in the barn for the night, but I feel shes not going to just start eating all of a sudden. Im thinking a shot of LA200 incase???

Could she be lonely too, we have been out there a bunch, I would have bought two but the others were not ready yet or were straight dairy breeds.

Help? Thank you so much in advance!

Take her rectal temperature, if it is not above 39.5 C or 103 F, she doesn't need antibiotics.

She is stressed from leaving a comfort zone and friends and now is all alone. Probably scared, New surroundings can take their toll and bring on a sickness. I would get her a companion. The shot might help but it may be allergies from something she is not used to. Stress will bring them on.
Keep some sweet feed in front of her.
Oh by the way, you being "out there" with her will not cut it. They aren't the same as dogs. They are herd animals.
Good luck

Yes, stress from change of scenery can be bring on shipping fever even from the shortest of trailer rides.
IF treatment is needed Nuflor or Zactran is much more effective than over the counter drugs such as LA-200

So hard to say with several things having changed. Yes, first off, she may very well be lonely since she was with others. That can throw them off feed. You are no substitute for a "buddy" and at that age they are looking for a herdmate. Has nothing to do with the eyes & nose conditions.
I would take her temp to determine that as a vet will ask that .

Sounds like a respiratory problem....If all you have is LA200 then better than nothing for starters...but may not be what will treat her most effectively. Could have gotten a chill from the trailer ride.

Vit B complex or Vit B-12 will help with the appetite. Vit B-12 is an appetite stimulant. Over the counter, some places will have it or at least the complex. Follow directions.

Do you have a large animal vet you deal with? Multi-min has to be gotten through a vet and many people use that also. Don't think it will hurt. But I would really consult a vet, describe the symptoms and see. If you have a vet you have used previously, they may do a consult over the phone.

farmerjan":14yxefhv said:
Vit B complex or Vit B-12 will help with the appetite. Vit B-12 is an appetite stimulant.
Over the counter, some places will have it or at least the complex. Follow directions.
:nod:
Yep, good to keep on hand if you have more than a few head.

Latest posts