Please don"t try this at home!

Help Support CattleToday:

cowman30":5obr13yb said:
So when I get in the chute behind the sweep gate and sweep them into the head gate I am taking unnecessary risks? What shall I do? Buy one of those Molly chutes with the remote control turrett gate that cost 30 million dollars? I dont think so.
I'm not talking about behind a sweep, I'm saying he was walking down the chute which had panels tied to the top so nothing could jump out. And another thing...we dont really think about it or in my case dont want to...At 40 I dont move like I did at 20 and I can only imagine what its going to be like at 80. Thats probably what bothered me the most was that If something did go wrong things weren't gonna be in his favor.

angie":tdjbnsi1 said:
Brandonm22":tdjbnsi1 said:
I don't see what the big deal was.
Yes you do. You may not see it as a big deal, but you can recognize the validity of the concern. For example ~ try finding a Mn farmers with all 10 fingers. Its not because they lack brains or experience when working with equipment, its because familiarity and routine breed carelessness, and thats when people get hurt.

Everybody dies......somewhere and somehow. The old man took a calculated risk and it worked. I see people take bigger gambles all the time getting on the interstate.

It's the pets that hurt folks...a fella never lets his guard down when working a bad cow but can be easily distarcted around the stable and easily worked ones. Only takes a split second for the animal to react differently than expected and have a hoof catch you in the leg or a head swing around and knock you into the rails.
Reading the animal is a long time learning and needs to be constantly practiced...only takes a second to miss a signal and have a really bad day.
Have had some toes smashed from when I went dancing with Susie's pet herf...nothing like having a cow standing on your foot and falling over even holding on to the horns. Seemed like forever to get her to move her hoof...just walked up and stood on my foot...and yes, I wasn't paying attention at the time.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not...DMc

Susie David":w5jpf1my said:
It's the pets that hurt folks...a fella never lets his guard down when working a bad cow but can be easily distarcted around the stable and easily worked ones. Only takes a split second for the animal to react differently than expected and have a hoof catch you in the leg or a head swing around and knock you into the rails.
Reading the animal is a long time learning and needs to be constantly practiced...only takes a second to miss a signal and have a really bad day.
Have had some toes smashed from when I went dancing with Susie's pet herf...nothing like having a cow standing on your foot and falling over even holding on to the horns. Seemed like forever to get her to move her hoof...just walked up and stood on my foot...and yes, I wasn't paying attention at the time.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not...DMc
ive had horses step on my foot and jerk back.. but a dumb cow will stomp down and stay there till lightnin' strikes plus them sharp hooves hurt like he1$

What worked for him was stuff that worked when he was much younger, I believe we all need to re evaluate our practices as we age.

Rod":1jculipw said:
What worked for him was stuff that worked when he was much younger, I believe we all need to re evaluate our practices as we age.

That works really well in theory, but how many cattlemen(or women, for that matter) do you know who will admit to getting older or accept that their relexes are not what they used to be? I'm thinking not many! Perhaps we will be able to see how you deal with age, and the realization that you cannot do the things you used to be able to do.

msscamp":2ebjotc7 said:
Rod":2ebjotc7 said:

That works really well in theory, but how many cattlemen(or women, for that matter) do you know who will admit to getting older or accept that their relexes are not what they used to be? I'm thinking not many! Perhaps we will be able to see how you deal with age, and the realization that you cannot do the things you used to be able to do.

I know I can;t run backwards as fast as a calf/cow/bull/steer.

msscamp":1blnq8kd said:
Rod":1blnq8kd said:

I will be the first to admit that I can't do things the way I did 20 or heck even 10yrs ago that is why I have built my setup to work cows so 1 or 2 people can do it
also why I have cabbed tractors now because I can't handle the heat for 12 hrs a day like I used to
also why I have the WIFE do most of the work it is easier on me

Angus Cowman

I never appreciated what an Agricultural Knowledger you are until I read this post. Pure genius, especially the part about havin the wife do most of the work. I think I speak for most of the men here when I say Well done , extremely well done :clap: :tiphat:

Latest posts