Plastic or metal feed bin

Help Support CattleToday:

Sherri Walker

Reaction score
Does a plastic feed bin have less condensation? What is the best way to prevent condensation in the bin?

Drill a couple holes in the bottom so the condensation/waiter drains. Still have one plastic feed bin and I HATE it. They eventually bow, there's always the cow/calf that will step inside and ruin it and water always collects in the low spots.

TC - I don't think they are talking about a "feeder". My guess it's a 5 ton or so storage bin???
I was advised to get a metal one. I just put up a 6 ton bin. The only "benefit" I was told for a plastic, was you could SEE where your feed level was without opening the top.
All bins can condense moisture. My feed doesn't stay too long in it - maybe refill every 5-7 weeks.

TC - I don't think they are talking about a "feeder". My guess it's a 5 ton or so storage bin???
I was advised to get a metal one. I just put up a 6 ton bin. The only "benefit" I was told for a plastic, was you could SEE where your feed level was without opening the top.
All bins can condense moisture. My feed doesn't stay too long in it - maybe refill every 5-7 weeks.
Gotcha! I immediately thought bunk instead of bin. Our bins are metal, so plastic never occurred to me. BTW, hell no, I don't climb up to see how much is left! I bang on the side to knock down any residual and when it's out, sometimes I have a rude awakening. Hook up the bin STAT and make a trip to town!

Yes, like a 6 ton bin. So no one has a plastic bin or like it?

Yes, like a 6 ton bin. So no one has a plastic bin or like it?
I have a 4 ton fibreglass, silo I call it, a bit egg shaped. I have a grain custom mix delivered into it and then hand feed it out to my young bulls over winter. Fibreglass is glass reinforced plastic so I guess that qualifies. I think it is very good, keeps it very dry, no sweating. I will often have feed left in it over late spring and summer and it is just as good when I start feeding the calves after weaning in autumn. I bought it 2nd hand from a prison farm that was closing down and have had it for about 10 years, I am very happy with it.

Ken

I don't know what it is like over there but in Australia I haven't seen any new advertised for years. All the non metal ones I see are moulded plastic. I think they are an offshoot of all the moulded plastic water tanks they are producing now. Over here even in suburbia people are collecting rain water off the roof, Australia being the driest continent. Manufactures like to have another string to their bow so they blow a few feed bins.

Ken

I have a 4 ton fibreglass, silo I call it, a bit egg shaped. I have a grain custom mix delivered into it and then hand feed it out to my young bulls over winter. Fibreglass is glass reinforced plastic so I guess that qualifies. I think it is very good, keeps it very dry, no sweating. I will often have feed left in it over late spring and summer and it is just as good when I start feeding the calves after weaning in autumn. I bought it 2nd hand from a prison farm that was closing down and have had it for about 10 years, I am very happy with it.

Ken
I am glad it works for you. I would expect problems with weevils when storing feed for an extended length of time on
almost every other continent due to moisture.

Latest posts