Plastic barrels for feeders.

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
When connecting the barrels what do you use? I am thinking of bolts but scared the cattle will poke their eyes. Any tips o what to do? Drovers has a similar picture of what I am constructing.

Scotty

Scotty":3hp52lvl said:
When connecting the barrels what do you use? I am thinking of bolts but scared the cattle will poke their eyes. Any tips o what to do? Drovers has a similar picture of what I am constructing.

Scotty

If you are using bolts, just cut off anything that sticks out if you are worried. Can't see them being a problem though.

Bez'

i take 4 ea 4'x 1" x 1/4" steel straps! match drill em all to a #7 drill bit! 2 holes per strap, seperate em! tap half of the for 1/4 20 bolts, clearance drill for the rest of the straps!
then i match drill the barrels together with the straps (straps just seem to add additional strength less pull thru of bolts) use bolts no nuts/ screwed into the tapped portion of the strap, any excess sticking thru grind it off..
might be extra work but has eliminated a lot of pull thru bolts and washers including fender washers

Some questions on building a portable feeder:

Are there any issues with a long (cut in half) plastic barrel feeder that you can drag from pasture to pasture? (I am considering chains between sections to provide some give.)

Is there a better design than just setting the plastic barrels on the ground?

I just use bolts and big washers to connect them. With a piece of rope through holes on the end to drag them. I've tried singles,doubles, and triples. Like the doubles best, hard for the cows to push everywhere but short enough to fit in the pick up.
I don't put them in any type of frame work. It's easier to step on the side to empty water out when you have feed sacks in your arms. Tried cutting one barrel into three pans once but one of them curled so bad I only ended up with two. Didn't gain anything.

Latest posts