Planting Wheat and Oats Without Disking

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I am wanting to try a new planting method this year. I have 6 acres I normally plant with oats and wheat. Typically I disk the field a few times than plant. This year I want to spray the field with gly than wait until its dead and broadcast my seed. After putting out seed I will run a shredder over it to cut the dead standing weeds/plants. Anyone tried this with good results? Planning on putting down 100lbs to the acre of seed.

If you get a good soaking rain afterwards or if you have good moisture now...but if your dry.....????

snoopdog said:
The pasture drill is the best option. Instead of shredding I would use a roller.

Im curious to why?
Are you talking about a crimper roller or cultipacker? again curious. About a month ago I went over some tall rank pasture reseeding clover and dragging a chain harrow...it knocked it down pretty good...some stuff wanted to stand back up.
Maybe you can elaborate on why you use a roller. I'm always ready to learn something.

I got about 7 acres im taking over now that's over grown I am bushhogging it then discing it really good then drill seeds fescue and oats. If it leaves a lot of cut material after bushhogging I will rake it up and then bale it then set the bales on fire and disc the ashes in.

Banjo said:
snoopdog said:
The pasture drill is the best option. Instead of shredding I would use a roller.

Im curious to why?
Are you talking about a crimper roller or cultipacker? again curious. About a month ago I went over some tall rank pasture reseeding clover and dragging a chain harrow...it knocked it down pretty good...some stuff wanted to stand back up.
Maybe you can elaborate on why you use a roller. I'm always ready to learn something.
I don't know what a crimper roller is, I was talking about a flat roller, though a cultipacker would work I think.He did say he wasn't going to disc. Its hard to get a stand by broadcasting in my experience, costs go up with the extra seed, I was thinking that shredding would just be adding more cost, wouldn't hurt a thing other than that.

Brute 23 said:
Broadcasting works but I would still run over it with a disk first. Just one pass makes all the difference... it doesnt have to be good enough to row crop.

One pass with disk, then broadcast the seed, and roll or drag.

Or go over it lightly with a disk

skyhightree1 said:
Brute 23 said:
Broadcasting works but I would still run over it with a disk first. Just one pass makes all the difference... it doesnt have to be good enough to row crop.

Me too after seeding. Put the disk pretty straight and hook a chain drag to the back of the disk. Put the smooth side of the drag down and it won't collect much residue. If i could figure out how to attach a 12 volt spinner to the front of the tractor i could do it all at once.

Douglas said:
skyhightree1 said:
Brute 23 said:

Me too after seeding. Put the disk pretty straight and hook a chain drag to the back of the disk. Put the smooth side of the drag down and it won't collect much residue. If i could figure out how to attach a 12 volt spinner to the front of the tractor i could do it all at once.

Where we use to work there were some guys that planted quite a bit of oats real close to us. They had two good size tractors with big finishing disks. The disks had gear driven seed boxes between the first gain and the second. They had drags behind each disk. They would whip in and run one behind the other and get after it. They were disking, planting, and covering in one pass, each. They covered lots of ground and had a good stand every year.

Douglas said:
skyhightree1 said:
Brute 23 said:

That's a great idea and I could mount an old seeder to the front by making a bracket then powering the spinner with one of my snow plow 12v motors

Aggieteacher said:

This is the rig I use. Plow, drop ryegrass, sling clover and pull drag. Can do 40 acre a day if you hustle.
looks like a nice rig.

Latest posts