Planting Teff

Help Support CattleToday:

We tried some a couple of years ago. Did not get much of a stand. Tried drilling and discing and broadcasting and neither done much. We were in a bad drought at that time so I doubt it had much chance to survive. Looks good on paper though.
If you try it let us know how it works.

I have the seed on hand but have concerns with getting a stand. I have a precision broadcast type spreader for small seed. It is the question of getting an adequate contact with firm soil. NC State has tried to interseed Teff in existing partial grass stands but had minimal success. I was hoping to hear from someone that has overcome this issue. Certainly in the countries where Teff is grown for human consumption they do not have sophisticated planting equipment yet they manage to get a crop. Any thoughts?

agmantoo":21qecu5c said:
I have the seed on hand but have concerns with getting a stand. I have a precision broadcast type spreader for small seed. It is the question of getting an adequate contact with firm soil. NC State has tried to interseed Teff in existing partial grass stands but had minimal success. I was hoping to hear from someone that has overcome this issue. Certainly in the countries where Teff is grown for human consumption they do not have sophisticated planting equipment yet they manage to get a crop. Any thoughts?
If NC State hasn't been able to do anything with it I doubt anyone else in the area has either.

NC State has only worked with Teff minimally as I understand. Teff was brought to my attention by an extension agent and I was told told that some horse folks in Virginia were having success with the crop for horse hay. This is a new crop to our area and I was hoping to contact someone with more experience and exposure in working with it. If I can get it germinated and up teff, seems to be the answer to dry weather grazing here in the southeast.

Man not to far from me has it planted
they way he sowed it was by disccing the ground then dragging it smooth and then broadcast the seed then rolled it in
he also say you can use a brillion seeder or a cultipacker roller
he says the main thing is not get the seed too deep but getting adequate soil contact

Angus Cowman

Do you know if your neighbor has planted the Teff in previous years and if so how satisfied he was with its performance? I am going to broadcast and I have a cultipacker. Ideally I would like to interseed the Teff in a heavily grazed paddock of various cool season grasses and clover. I am thinking about scuffing the soil with a rotary hoe, seeding and then dragging lightly and packing. Whatcha think? Thanks

agmantoo":2lpu4ikf said:
Angus Cowman

Do you know if your neighbor has planted the Teff in previous years and if so how satisfied he was with its performance? He has used it for 4 or 5 yrs and he hays most of it. He also says it like N pretty well I am going to broadcast and I have a cultipacker. Ideally I would like to interseed the Teff in a heavily grazed paddock of various cool season grasses and clover. I am thinking about scuffing the soil with a rotary hoe, seeding and then dragging lightly and packing. Whatcha think? Thanks
He say the main thing is a good FIRM seed bed
I don't think he has interseeded it with anyother grasses for pasture I think he plants it straigh but I don't see why it wouldn't work

We drilled teff and rape on Memorial Day. It is starting to poke up. I am worried about the insane amount of rain we have had so far and if it will heat up enough for it to really take off. I burned the old grass and alfalfa on 10 acres and will be using this for last summer grazing. It was an experiment. I'll see how it works.

It has been 14 days since I broadcasted teff seed in some of my grazed paddocks. The seeds have sprouted and the growth is unreal. The pic is of a cow path in one of the lanes that I seeded. If I did not take the pic of the bare area it would be difficult to see the sprouts.
teffsprouts.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why Teff?
What made you choose Teff as opposed to a millet or sorghum?

Teff seemed to be a crop that even in hot and possibly dry weather that would offer grazing in late July and all of August. I wanted to try the teff as I felt it would better blend in with the clover and existing cool season grasses. As the grass goes dormant the Teff could fill in this difficult time period for rotational grazing here. The drought tolerance and the later in the year planting also seemed to have merit. Last year I tried Red River crab grass. I have planted pearl millet previously along with a variety of other mid summer potential grazing forages. Also I like observing how various forages produce at my place. Todate, teff has been the fastest growing of any plant I have tried.

I've read a little about teff and from what I understand it makes excellent feed but looking at your latest picture it sure looks a lot like the crap I have growing in the cricks and lowlands. Cattle won't touch that stuff.

I planted 11 acres of it last year. Central Florida fertilized with 21 7 14. Disked the field, rolled it, spread the seed and then ran the drag over it. Had real good sucess wish I could figure out how to post pics but the stuff got waste high. Put up great looking rolls of hay. Cows loved it. Started putting up haylage the end of last year so I planted Tiftleaf 3 this year on the same field to see what I like better. Seed it pricey but puts up great hay.

Latest posts