Planting sudans or millet?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
We are going to plant some sudan and millet in 2 different places. But I keep hearing that the ground temperature is not up tp 60 degrees yet. Is there a website that has the ground temps. for weather stations in any area?

Don't know about soil temp stations but the guide we use is when you have to sleep with your windows open at night then its time to plant millet. Works good for us.

Ours has been higher then that for a week or more. I planted sorghum last week and it's starting to sprout a little. The volunteer millet hasn;t done much yet though.

the rule of thumb we use is when the nite temps are 60 an above to plant.that way itll spout an get to going quick.

bigbull338":2iefu98k said:
the rule of thumb we use is when the nite temps are 60 an above to plant.that way itll spout an get to going quick.
By that standard we should have planted it a month ago then pulled itback up for the last week and replanted today. Temps have been a bit more erratic then usual

Recommendation here in mid Missouri is to plant it at the end of May. We are going to push it by one week and already have the county's no till drill reserved for May 23.

Both are great stuff, though I prefer the hybrid pear millet over the sudax.

Got my ProMax field and Tyrone Beans with Sudex field seeded today. I don't know if the temp was right but today was the day I had available to do it.

Sizmic

redcowsrule33":1g5eikza said:
Try http://www.greencastonline.com/SoilTempMaps.aspx

Haven't been able to plant the millet seed I bought 3 years ago as the rain stops every time the soil temps get high enough. This year the rain has already stopped. Might plant it anyway so I don't have to look at it for another year.

I'll push the planting date sometimes cause while it may be too cool at least I have moisture. It doesn't take off like it should but at least it doesn't get a little sprinkle during a drought and germinate and die.

Latest posts