First trip around the field with the disk:
trip1.jpg

Then we go around again with the "doo-all":
trip2.jpg

The we plant:
trip3.jpg

Now we stop, drink a cold beer:
done.jpg

And wait for water........................

I sure like your planning on the beer at the end of the row in the shade,,,,,,,,amazing how you had to stop and let the tractor cool down. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike I bought a drill similar to yours about 3 yrs ago. I used it to drill some rye and it worked really well. This year when I got ready to use it the darn thing was frozen up and wouldn't turn. When I tried to force the gears to stay engaged while my son ws driving slowly pulling it I broke one of the pot metal arms that operates the gears. No longer available from J Deere. I have considered just chaining it up direct so that any time your pulling it, it is turning putting out seed and all you would have to do is keep the oulets closed until you get to where you are going to plant. Have you ever had yours to freeze up and what did you do to get it unstuck (the long shafts that run through it)? And have you ever seen one chained direct like I'm talking about?

TSR":35rdqj4g said:
Mike I bought a drill similar to yours about 3 yrs ago. I used it to drill some rye and it worked really well. This year when I got ready to use it the darn thing was frozen up and wouldn't turn. When I tried to force the gears to stay engaged while my son ws driving slowly pulling it I broke one of the pot metal arms that operates the gears. No longer available from J Deere. I have considered just chaining it up direct so that any time your pulling it, it is turning putting out seed and all you would have to do is keep the oulets closed until you get to where you are going to plant. Have you ever had yours to freeze up and what did you do to get it unstuck (the long shafts that run through it)? And have you ever seen one chained direct like I'm talking about?

You are correct. These drills are obsolete. They are good about accurately planting small seeds though.

I see what you're saying about chaining it up like that and it should work.

Yours got a clover hopper on it? That one turns all the time.

Never had a problem with it freezing up. I try to remember to pour oil in the openings if it sits any length of time.

That ground looks wet to me. I see it sticking to the tires. You must have got a good rain. I got 0.15 inch Friday evening.

I am jealous of how nice that field looks, nice and level and straight.

I am trying to lease some crop land close to my house and plan to plant it with coastal and have it bailed for my use for next year. I was offered it at $10.00 per acre with a 10 year lease, is this a fair price. The land was planted last year in corn and the man who leased it has retired from farming.

TSR":hvzb4x75 said:
Try these people they deal in used drill parts.
http://www.burrells.net/used_drill.mydop

alabama":ve163xu0 said:
That ground looks wet to me. I see it sticking to the tires. You must have got a good rain. I got 0.15 inch Friday evening.

At the airport..3 miles, they reported 4/100's Friday afternoon and 22/100's Saturday. :mad:

preston39":1qpiadxk said:
Mikec...,

I am not sure from the pic but, that looks like a disc plow...is it?

It's an old John Deere "offset" disk.

Am pleased to report that the pearl millet I planted here last Saturday is up and growing on Wednesday afternoon.

Looks like every single seed germinated. Now all I have to do is wait about 3-4 weeks before the cows get to have a taste.

C HOLLAND":9efqzgcz said:
Mike, I want to plant some Millet also, what is the latest you would plant.

Pearl millet's growth will slow down around mid to end of Sept here when the nights start to get cooler.

If you plant it now and get some water (?) you can graze in 30-45 days with luck.

That would leave you with about 1 1/2 to 2 months of forage.

Don't know if it would be worth it or not. :?: :?: :?:

Thanks Mike, I think I may just wait and plant rye and clover this fall. The hay situation in our area is so shaky that I am going to plant every field I have in rye for the winter.

I am thinking the cost of the rye seed and using chicken liter vs commercial fertilizer,the cost may be less than buying hay at the prices I have seen, and that is if you can find any.