Planting Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
Hello. I am wondering how to plant oats and still have the warm season perennial grass in the Spring? I am near Huntsville, Texas and will be planting in sandy soil over bahia and coastal. Any comments appreciated.

I use a double disc seed drill and plant 70-80lbs per acre. I also add ryegrass at 10-15lbs per acre. Wait till after a good rain when the soil is soft and moist then have at it. If you get another rain or two you will have a good stand of oats in 8-10 weeks. The rye will really come on in the spring. Works good when you get some rain.

highgrit":13l95m41 said:
I use a double disc seed drill and plant 70-80lbs per acre. I also add ryegrass at 10-15lbs per acre. Wait till after a good rain when the soil is soft and moist then have at it. If you get another rain or two you will have a good stand of oats in 8-10 weeks. The rye will really come on in the spring. Works good when you get some rain.

Rain? What's that?
I haven't seen any lately and no more than a 10% chance in the long range forecast--same I suspect for Huntsville, which is about 45 minutes north of me.

east_tex":2o4340of said:
Hello. I am wondering how to plant oats and still have the warm season perennial grass in the Spring? I am near Huntsville, Texas and will be planting in sandy soil over bahia and coastal. Any comments appreciated.

Why oat's? Never liked oat's for this part of the country, prefer clover and rye grass makes great forage and hay next spring.

Cb,what type of clover do you use? I have had little luck the last two years. My rye is fine and my soil sample said my soil is ok but very little clover. I am north of buffalo.

papavillars":1pexoj7h said:
Cb,what type of clover do you use? I have had little luck the last two years. My rye is fine and my soil sample said my soil is ok but very little clover. I am north of buffalo.

In the bottoms white dutch on the hills red and arrowleaf. The Crimson and arrowleaf doesn't like wet feet.
I have had better luck with the crimson. The white dutch comes back on it's own every year and the rye grass.
I won't use grazon just 2-4-d so I don't kill my seedbank.

papavillars":2v0c28fq said:
Thanks cb, good luck hunting. Sitting on a stand this morning and sure is foggy.

Had to feel my way to the stand this morning. Had a spike shyt in my back pocket this morning.
I still haven't figured out he found me 15 ft up in a tree wind in my favor. He came up 20 yards right behind me and snorted I could have broke him down with a load of double aught as he was leaving. Had he not been on the edge of a fresh cutover sawbrair thicket, I let him go.

Caustic Burno":1eak53j3 said:
east_tex":1eak53j3 said:

Why oat's? Never liked oat's for this part of the country, prefer clover and rye grass makes great forage and hay next spring.

I'd go the same route. But, if a person can't afford to get clover out, annual rye is cheap and it only needs to be broadcasted.

Along with what James T said. If you plant clover you really need the ryegrass. Helps to reduce the chance of bloating. We planted Ball clover a few years ago. It has helped our pasture tremendously.

My 2 cents,

Farmgirl

I always get a kick outa ,readin about how you folks in North East Tx ain't gettin any rain, if I got half the rain y'all do I'd be ******** in tall cotton :D
Good luck

Latest posts