planting oats for hay

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
Never have done it, how many bushells/acre do you recommend for planting. I want to plant 10.5 acres, gonna mix some rye with it but would like a really good stand. Plan is to broadcast it over our coastal field. Figure I can just run the disk straight and cut some narrow grooves in the ground, then drag it, maybe roll it to to pack it down.

You will get a much better stand with a no-til. A thick stand will set your coastal back in the spring, unless you graze it down pretty good or cut it just before the coastal wants to start spring growth.

I had planned to cut just as everything was starting to green up in the spring. How long prior to that should I plant in order to get it in the dough stage?

Most people around here are planting now and hopeing for rain.
I guess it depends on your cliamate, how far south you are.
You probably need to talk to the ag agent in your area.

Be aware that oats are one of the grains most likely to be damaged by freeze. We lost many a field of oats here.
We now use rye, wheat and ryegrass.

I have planted oats the past three years for hay at 2 bushels/acre using a no-till drill into bermuda grass pasture. Unless you get ample rainfall they are not worth messing with. Last year we let the cows have them, didn't even have enough to bother cutting. Oats are now a no-no for me.

When you compare oat hay to other grasses you could plant instead it is kind of a waste of time. Expect to get the nutritional value of a late maturity grass hay around 8% Crude protein at best and most of the times lower, and low TDN and high fiber, at least that is how it ends up here in my state when you wait until the dough stage, it really ends up as straw. Won't see me wasting any more time planting oat hay after trying a few different times.

We use fall planted oats to finish out our beef. Then about
the first of march we take all remaining animals(calves weaned
the previous fall) off the field and cut hay in early May.
It makes great hay. The cows love it. Here's some steers
destined for the butcher in Jan 08:

DCP_3815.jpg

DCP_3817.jpg

DCP_3816.jpg

Latest posts