Planting in rocky ground

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Getting ready to plant some grass for a customer. New ground just got cleared of predominantly chestnut oaks. It is full of rock, like 5 acres of driveway full of rock. Most are golf ball size or smaller a few baseball size or so. I know grass will help hold them down if I can get it growing. The land is poor so fertility is first and organic material is non existent. I know some of you guys live in some rocky spots. How is the best way to smooth it up and seed it? Thanks for any help you can give.

In Virginia. Yes there is soil and it can be worked some. Like I said the top 4-6" is basically like a driveway/roadbed just full of small rock. Plan is to plant fescue and rye grass mix. Trying to get it reasonably smooth and seed. Really wish I had a pulva-mulcher or Nesi's roller. Not sure a disc will do much and definitely not pulling my no-till across as we planned to do over the phone. Thanks

SmokinM":2vamqrrn said:
In Virginia. Yes there is soil and it can be worked some. Like I said the top 4-6" is basically like a driveway/roadbed just full of small rock. Plan is to plant fescue and rye grass mix. Trying to get it reasonably smooth and seed. Really wish I had a pulva-mulcher or Nesi's roller. Not sure a disc will do much and definitely not pulling my no-till across as we planned to do over the phone. Thanks

What county ? I had some yards like that in Goochland on new built houses that had a gazillion lil rocks in it and I used an offset disk on it then a tiller then a Harley rake it turned out like a carpet and after going through all that a lot of the rocks were covered

In Powhatan on one of those bluffs not to far off the river. The area is notorious for poor rocky soil, told her on the phone it would be to rocky to drill. Oh no it will be fine she says, two weeks later when they start clearing, what can I do about all these rocks?

I'm well versed in rocky ground as well.. a good roller is essential.. I'd probably consider putting some clover in there too.. probably white clover would be my first choice for that.

A roller like this, filled will stuff any rock back where it came from, or crush it.

No sympathy, all I grow is rocks. Fist sized is small. Every spring they sprout up, size of your head often. Bedrock is about an inch below the surface is places. Fun fencing

boondocks":tc6xw5va said:
No sympathy, all I grow is rocks. Fist sized is small. Every spring they sprout up, size of your head often. Bedrock is about an inch below the surface is places. Fun fencing
Dam, sounds like you are in the Ozarks!

rock picker to pick up the rocks first.

then disc..

then pick up the other rocks.

then seed.

ddd75":1jwo753o said:

then disc..

then seed.

Alfalfa guys spring tooth, windrow with rock rake, pick the windrows, repeat... so they can scalp it.
An alternative approach is a rock bucket on a skid steer.
Sounds like small rocks so heavy disk and heavy roller should work, but you will get some compaction.

I pick every pass into a FEL or a rock box, pack before and after seeding, and still have to go back after grazing it a couple times to pick up what the cattle have kicked up. I do one rock paddock a year, and I lose 10# in the process.

Stocker Steve":3e97ks7c said:
ddd75":3e97ks7c said:

then disc..

then seed.

Alfalfa guys spring tooth, windrow with rock rake, pick the windrows, repeat... so they can scalp it.
An alternative approach is a rock bucket on a skid steer.
Sounds like small rocks so heavy disk and heavy roller should work, but you will get some compaction.

I pick every pass into a FEL or a rock box, pack before and after seeding, and still have to go back after grazing it a couple times to pick up what the cattle have kicked up. I do one rock paddock a year, and I lose 10# in the process.

Of course I wouldn't use alfalfa.
I would chisel as deep and hard as possible, then disc. For at least 2 years I would grow a annual crop for hay and grazing. Reworking and fertilizer between each. I've been doing this in 10 to 20 acre blocks after getting enough organic matter I would turn towards looking into my permanent pasture perennial.

SmokinM":2w807rye said:
In Powhatan on one of those bluffs not to far off the river. The area is notorious for poor rocky soil, told her on the phone it would be to rocky to drill. Oh no it will be fine she says, two weeks later when they start clearing, what can I do about all these rocks?

Oh ok I am in powhatan today by Watkins landing. What size rocks are they ?

skyhightree1":18qlgmu5 said:
SmokinM":18qlgmu5 said:

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for the two of you to meet up, on site, and make a plan. :)

Funny thing, when I read his initial post, I thought to myself "hmmmmm, sounds like our place, heck sounds like most of Virginia!" LOL and, as it turns out, it is Va!

Workinonit Farm":3mktsgj2 said:
skyhightree1":3mktsgj2 said:
SmokinM":3mktsgj2 said:

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for the two of you to meet up, on site, and make a plan. :)

Funny thing, when I read his initial post, I thought to myself "hmmmmm, sounds like our place, heck sounds like most of Virginia!" LOL and, as it turns out, it is Va!

Lol not all of va no rocks where I am just Sand lol

We used a grader blade looking thing but it was made like a rake it worked good. Pulled all the rocks to the ditch then went back with fel and pushed them in

Workinonit Farm":10b2100a said:

Move west where they are bigger. Then u get to use a backhoe and a dozer. :nod:

Stocker Steve":oz02qxem said:
Workinonit Farm":oz02qxem said:

Move west where they are bigger. Then u get to use a backhoe and a dozer. :nod:

:lol: No thanks! I have enough of those on our own place, thankyou very much! :lol:

Click on the picture for a larger version.

Latest posts