Planting hay

Help Support CattleToday:

lawdawg21

Reaction score
I have access to 10 acres that I want to plant jiggs hay. What is the best way and amount per acre. Im located in central Louisiana. Thanks

20 to 40 bushel per acre. 40 if you want to get a cutting the first summer. Disk the field clean. Plant your sprigs and disk one more time to cover them. Drag the meadow to smooth it. I use a pipe frame with chainlink wired to it and a couple old tractor tires throwed on it for weight. Compact the soil with a roller if you got use of one to hold moisture. You can skip the last step but plant in front of a good chance of rain. In the spring you will want to spray for weeds. If bahia is established spray cimmeron plus to kill weeds and control bahia. Do a soil test and lime. In your area you will need it same as mine. Fertilize heavy the first year.

lawdawg21":3oa3rdio said:
What kills the Johnson grass? There is plenty of it there
Roundup. I read a article that said the best time to spray is July so it would be taken down to the rhizomes.
Also when the field is plowed up for planting you will stimulate more Johnson grass to grow.

I sprigged 10 acres last year in tifton 85 . I sprayed the field with round up to kill everything . Sprayed it 2 times . Then started discing I kept it just dirt for about 2 months . Then when all of the old grass had rotted away I used a land plane to level the field . We had a drought so I waited until it rained then had my sprigs delivered . Got a inch the day before it was cloudy the day we planted then got another half inch that night . Didn't rain again for a month. I also rolled it after I planted it . That was in may the last week of July I cut 42 rolls off that meadow .

to kill johnson grass in established bermuda i have mixed glyphosate in a bucket and used a mop to swab the top of the johnson grass.

Angus Cowman":preh7z7p said:
lawdawg21":preh7z7p said:
That's alot of swabbing. Hopefully its gone with the disking
that is like hoping the rocks disappear when you disc it
you can use a wick type applicator with roundup to get rid of the JG
You mean rocks WON'T disappear the more you disc?

dun":38mm3aif said:
Angus Cowman":38mm3aif said:
lawdawg21":38mm3aif said:
That's alot of swabbing. Hopefully its gone with the disking
that is like hoping the rocks disappear when you disc it
you can use a wick type applicator with roundup to get rid of the JG
You mean rocks WON'T disappear the more you disc?
NOPE :cry2: :cry2: