Planting Clover & Rye grass together

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
I have a pasture that I would like to plant in Durana clover and Passerel Plus rye grass this fall. Can I no till them at the same time, or would I need to plant the clover first?

Planted the same combo as you are talking about and it worked great. I just slung them out in a 3pt seeder, with a cattle panel draging behind. Had a good stand of both. The first year the clover was not that aggressive, the next year it really came on. Just wish I had done more, hopefully will do some this fall.
Good luck

I think that I would be very careful trying to no-till either of the seeds. Both are pretty small and a no-till would bury them to deep to come up. Best results for the clover and the ryegrass would to be to use a whirlwind seeder and drag the ground after or in combination.

I broad casted medium red with Zorro Italian ryegrass and it is working great, have some steers grazing it now. I think I did about 5 lbs. of clover per acre and about 50 lbs. of ryegrass.

thanks everyone! love the suggestions, and upon reflection, I'll broadcast and drag a cattle panel or something behind. Great ideas!

I've been no tilling Passeral Plus for years with great results. I also have alsl only no tilled the Durana. Since the latter is so expensive, I would check with the county extension agent, and he can check with the UGA agronomists, but I would be very worried about shading the clover since the Passeral gets so tall and thick and isn't ready to bale until late spring.

Billy

I still use an old Pasture Dream, from the 50's. It has a clover box that drops the seed on top of the ground just in front of the packer wheels. Works great.

lead_dog":18vc8x1d said:
Thanks Billy. My goal isn't to do any baling, but full year grazing.

Then it probably will work, but do not let them graze too short and eat all the clover seedlings (like pull them out of the ground). We planted our clover into fescue many years ago and did allow grazing during the establishment phase, but rotated frequently to allow for rest and seedling growth and rooting.

Billy

Latest posts