planting brome ??

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have just purchased 66 acres in southern kansas and they have just finished cutting the soybeans of of most of it and i am wanting to plant brome on it, but im not sure how this will happen, i was told to plant no deeper than 1/2 inch and about 15-20 lbs per acer, but how do i plant the seed and should i wait for spring to do so? i herd that brome seed plugs up in normal seed drills, is there a special one to use or is broadcasting the seed and then using a harrow to push the seed down? any help would be appriciated mickey

[email protected]

There are drills designed for the purpose, many of the newer types have an agitator that can be added for "fluffy" seed. Supposedly you need it for orchard grass, but my old JD FB did just fine. Your local NRCS office may have a drill available to rent that will work.

dunmovin farms

> I have just purchased 66 acres in
> southern kansas and they have just
> finished cutting the soybeans of
> of most of it and i am wanting to
> plant brome on it, but im not sure
> how this will happen, i was told
> to plant no deeper than 1/2 inch
> and about 15-20 lbs per acer, but
> how do i plant the seed and should
> i wait for spring to do so? i herd
> that brome seed plugs up in normal
> seed drills, is there a special
> one to use or is broadcasting the
> seed and then using a harrow to
> push the seed down? any help would
> be appriciated mickey

Don't know about that part. It depends on when your first killing frost usually is and how much moisture you have. Your seed source should be able to best answer that. If they can't e-mail Pennington or one of the major forage seed companies directly. Insure that you've done a soil analysis so you know what you need. If all you need is fertilizers you can do that at the same time.

dunmovin farms

> thankyou for your help also should
> i seed it now or wait untill
> spring?

Latest posts