Planting bermuda grass

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I know a man that has a pasture with some of the thickest a best looking bermuda grass you will ever see and he says he got it started by mixing small amounts of seed in his cow feed. He says it will pass through them and start growing, some vet had told him it would work but not to feed them to much per feeding.
Has anyone ever heard of this?

Just take some cow manure (from cows with access to bermuda grass) out from under a barn and put it in your garden and see what happens. :D

But I'm not going to feed $10/lb seed to a cow for her to "plant".

This reminds me........Jogee, you spred some liquid gold on your garden. How did that turn out? (I mean after the Missus calmed down and everything was back to normal. :lol:)

1982vett":szf2kix9 said:
But I'm not going to feed $10/lb seed to a cow for her to "plant".
The man I knew that was feeding it did not have a very large acreage with just a few cows an he would just sprinkle some on their feed kind of like some one would put salt on there food , but even then I don't know if it would be worth the cost.

Yeah, a cow is going to deposit a lot of seed where it doesn't need to be. Going to miss a lot of places too.

I'd say if you have small acerage, get, borrow, or rent one of those hand crank seeders and let a buddy drive you around the pasture while you crank. :p A pound of seed saved will pay for the "fuel". :lol:

So I take it, the general consensus is that the quality of this guy's bermuda stand is probably due to factors unrelated to the method of seeding. Like soil type, grazing management, rainfall, fertilizer?

jack1234":4oefxd5d said:
So I take it, the general consensus is that the quality of this guy's bermuda stand is probably due to factors unrelated to the method of seeding. Like soil type, grazing management, rainfall, fertilizer?
Sure doesn't hurt any. Most likely variety plays a greater part. Also didn't say how long he has been doing it and how long it took to get the stand.

jack1234":35yrpfwy said:
I don't know what made it grow like it did this was several years ago that he did this i do not remember him useing fert. He use to say it was the richness of the manure that got it started good pluse you ever noticed how a cow wont eat right on top of a pile that gives it a good start with a good root system.
so if you think about it well it kind of looks like if might work ????
As I remember it took him a couple years to get it a good pasture. He had a place that they leased for years but lost the lease So he had to move and he just bought him like 20 acres and built a home and got 4 or 5 cows just because he always had some so the place i say him do it on was small with just a few cows.

If you are talking about common bermuda then just get the soil right. (You need to do that no mater what you plant or how.) More than likely there is enough seed in the ground where planting would be a waste of money. Hybrids would be a different story. If you need to plant in a manure pile I think you may need to concentrate on soil amendments.