Planted millet. Now I'm in trouble I think.

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2z6as1w6 said:
CCFARMS":2z6as1w6 said:
I think i backed myself into a corner and need to let the cattle back on the 25 or 30 acres that has the millet and forget about the wildlife.

So which is it 4 acres of millet as orignally stated or 24 or 30?

I have planted 4 acres of millet on a 40 acre track.

CC,

I tried to follow this to give some friendly advice. I think you have about 8 or 9 head of cattle, some of which are calves, and a few various other animals. Right? Cows will always look at you like they want food, because they do. They are almost never content with food, they think with their stomachs. Do a google search on BCS, or body condition score. This is a rating system that assigns a number value to the cows muscling/amount of fat. Your cows should be a BCS around 6. If they are 5's that's o.k. too. 7's are getting too fat. I say this because even though your cows are looking at you like they are hungry they may be fine. Sometimes you have to make the cows graze what you have- and they will - but not if your giving them some prime millet or feed or fresh hay. This is where many newer "ranchers" lose money, by not making their stock work to forage what's available. The horses, llama, and especially the goat can fend for themselves in the brush.

By the way, ga. prime is "good people", cut him some slack. We all try to help, but sometimes people jump so far in over their head it's amazing.

Could you take a couple of pics and post them of your land? My hunch is that they are just spoiled, but just a guess. You never said, what type of cattle do you have?

Hope everything works out.

cypressfarms":39cup185 said:
CC,

I tried to follow this to give some friendly advice. I think you have about 8 or 9 head of cattle, some of which are calves, and a few various other animals. Right? Cows will always look at you like they want food, because they do. They are almost never content with food, they think with their stomachs. Do a google search on BCS, or body condition score. This is a rating system that assigns a number value to the cows muscling/amount of fat. Your cows should be a BCS around 6. If they are 5's that's o.k. too. 7's are getting too fat. I say this because even though your cows are looking at you like they are hungry they may be fine. Sometimes you have to make the cows graze what you have- and they will - but not if your giving them some prime millet or feed or fresh hay. This is where many newer "ranchers" lose money, by not making their stock work to forage what's available. The horses, llama, and especially the goat can fend for themselves in the brush.

By the way, ga. prime is "good people", cut him some slack. We all try to help, but sometimes people jump so far in over their head it's amazing.

Could you take a couple of pics and post them of your land? My hunch is that they are just spoiled, but just a guess. You never said, what type of cattle do you have?

Hope everything works out.

I appreciate all your advice and i'll try to get you some pics. I'm in the process now. It seems to be like cracking a vault would be easier but in the process. The jury is still out on your buddy ga. prime. I don't like smart 4sses and have no room for people that think they're dropped from momma with the knowledge to rule the world. There isn't one of us that didn't have to learn what we do for a living but seems some think they do rocket science compared to others. I despise those people and have no tolerance to put up with them. If he has nothing to offer he needs to move on and keep his little remarks to himself. Maybe I took it wrong but I can usually spot one a mile off.

jedstivers":2w502z2o said:
ga.prime is a top notch guy.
Must have just rubbed you wrong.

Thats what i hear. I guess some can't step up to the plate all the time.

CCFARMS":ks4nomy0 said:
jedstivers":ks4nomy0 said:

Ga. Prime steps up to the plate every time, possibly your in out field. :welcome: to Cattle Today.

Tom.

Be nice, CCFarms. No need to start off on the wrong foot. We have a certain sense of humor here. You have to get used to it sometimes.

CCF,
At this particular time and point in the universe my cows are fat and sassy and knee deep in chow.
But you let them see any human being that might even know a guy what knows a guy that could hook them up with some range cubes walk up to the fence, and you'd think they just got off the boat from Bangladesh and haven't eaten in days.
Thet rotten up pretty quick.

cmf1":3oi2jsxh said:
CCF,
At this particular time and point in the universe my cows are fat and sassy and knee deep in chow.
But you let them see any human being that might even know a guy what knows a guy that could hook them up with some range cubes walk up to the fence, and you'd think they just got off the boat from Bangladesh and haven't eaten in days.

Ours equate a human to moving to a new pasture. A real PITA at times.

Oh yeah,
My pastures are permanent fenced with tube gates. You go to jangling that gate chain on the gate and they turn into NASCOW races.
Whether they're still eating lush or not.

cmf1":2krp2zjo said:
CCF,

CRACK ME UP! :clap:

kerley":10b1i5tk said:
CCFARMS":10b1i5tk said:
jedstivers":10b1i5tk said:

Ga. Prime steps up to the plate every time, possibly your in out field. :welcome: to Cattle Today.

Tom.

To each own but he had nothing to offer and maybe I took it wrong. This is not my first rodeo in a chat board.

To those of us who have stuck around, it is more like a family.

Latest posts