Planted millet. Now I'm in trouble I think.

Help Support CattleToday:

CCFARMS

Reaction score
New to the cattle field. Hobby man and i planted 4 acres of millet for wildlife. In order to do this i had to put the cattle in another area . The millet has sprouted and is at a week since the sprout. The problem I have is i don't think i have enough grass to support them where i have them now. I think I'm going to bail on the wildlife and turn the cattle back onto the back half. How long should I wait before letting them on the millet? I would appreciate any advice thanks.

I originally bought 3 bred cows with calves at their sides. I have had two calves bringing my total to 8 as of now, expecting one more. Just a little info on what i have.

I would wait until the millet is about 1 foot tall, then not overgraze or trample it. Let it grow back good before you graze it again.

denoginnizer":1mkjch1z said:
Could you feed them a few rolls of hay until millet is taller?

Good idea Deno. Don't know how many cows you have but 4 acres won't feed too many. If they are low on grass now, they'll probably tear into the millet and graze it too low, unless you have a way to "control" them

For what little grazing you'll get from 4 acers it hardly seems woth the effort to even bother grazing it.

Thanks for the replies. I have a total of forty acres of brush and grass. This land hasn't been tended for over 20 years. Its great wildlife land but this year i bought some cattle and with out thinking it through I planted the millet and was forced to put them on the 15 acres that is about 50 50 of good and bad. In other words probably not enough of good grazing grass (sandy soil). I'm going to have to get some hay to give the millet time to grow(Deno pointed out). Its going to be green and plush so I assumed the cows would devour it first and then move on to the rough. There are a lot of plumb thicket cover, trees , blackberry's,tons of poison ivy! and native grass around. The trees and thickets cover more than the native grass. Its some very rough land. I am trying to clear at this time with brush mowing and spraying. Just a little info on what i have. The only real question was, how long i should wait so the millet will not get mutilated and be worthless making my time and effort for not. Like i said the original reason for planting was for dove and wildlife but I think i will have to ditch that thought. Thanks again guys for the advice keep it coming.

4 acres wouldn't be hard to put an electric fence around. Would cost a couple hundrend for the supplies.

1982vett":36x70v8d said:
4 acres wouldn't be hard to put an electric fence around. Would cost a couple hundrend for the supplies.

That would be an idea but unfortunately its not in one spot. Good point though. Thanks

CC is your 40 acres fenced? If so, I'd turn the cows loose in the brush and let them help you clean it up, would probably save you some money on hay. What type of cows?

Hail, you ain't in trouble.

Edited to eliminate unnecessary, questionable, arguable, obvious, superfluous, argumentative, and regional logic.

cypressfarms":3tw4a2cp said:
CC is your 40 acres fenced? If so, I'd turn the cows loose in the brush and let them help you clean it up, would probably save you some money on hay. What type of cows?

Yes its fenced but in the half they are in now I just hogged (lots of thicket areas ) down and sprayed. They might have enough to eat i just noticed they are running at me these days like they're hungry. I don't want to starve them to weight loss. With out someone that has raised cattle to give me a visual yay or nay on this land being sufficient for them I'm just guessing i suppose. They just seem to want my attention more than usual and it hasn't been long enough to notice any weight loss which i would really like to avoid. I don't think i have the eye quite yet.

ga. prime":xdmw4smr said:

Edited to eliminate unnecessary, questionable, arguable, and superfluous logic.

Yeah i guess ignoring it would be better huh? You have any input or is this it?

CCFARMS":16g1d2rl said:
ga. prime":16g1d2rl said:

Edited to eliminate unnecessary, questionable, arguable, and superfluous logic.

Yeah i guess ignoring it would be better huh? You have any input or is this it?
Nope, got nothing. Still editing.

ga. prime":1jucyyho said:

Edited to eliminate unnecessary, questionable, arguable, obvious, superfluous, argumentative, and regional logic.
Ok now, what did I miss. :?: :?:

1982vett":3suyva2r said:
ga. prime":3suyva2r said:

Ok now, what did I miss. :?: :?:

Nothing. He has nothing to offer just a waste of cyber space.

3 bred cows and 4 acres of millet? If I read this right you don't have a problem cause once you are able to graze it 3 cows aren't going to be able to catch it - assuming a normal rainfall. If push comes to shove just grab a few handfulls of the millet and twist it. If it breaks off without pulling the root out of the ground you are safe to graze. Waiting till its a foot tall is better but sometimes you may not have a choice.

Jogeephus":1csgb81a said:
3 bred cows and 4 acres of millet? If I read this right you don't have a problem cause once you are able to graze it 3 cows aren't going to be able to catch it - assuming a normal rainfall. If push comes to shove just grab a few handfulls of the millet and twist it. If it breaks off without pulling the root out of the ground you are safe to graze. Waiting till its a foot tall is better but sometimes you may not have a choice.

Well its 3 bred cows with calves on the side but two have dropped so I have a total of 8 and hopefully 9 very soon. On top of that I have 2 miniature horses a lama and a goat:) The millet will not be the only thing they have in front of them but it'll be the best. I just wanted to give it a chance to stay for the season so my efforts wont be total loss even though it was for another reason. From what i have read on this board millet is a good cattle grazer. This was planted with intentions to draw dove,quail,deer,etc in. I think i backed myself into a corner and need to let the cattle back on the 25 or 30 acres that has the millet and forget about the wildlife.

CCFARMS":1ppg2xz1 said:
I think i backed myself into a corner and need to let the cattle back on the 25 or 30 acres that has the millet and forget about the wildlife.

So which is it 4 acres of millet as orignally stated or 24 or 30?

If it were me, I would put the Llamas, ponies and goats in the current pasture and put the animals of value into the millet "when it's ready". If you get adequate moisture your 4 pairs should be OK. The other grasses are probably mature so it will be of limited use. With a lick tub cows will do OK on mature grasses as long as there's enough to keep their bellies full.

Latest posts