Plant now, or wait?

Help Support CattleToday:

redlevel":5obv70a9 said:
JMJ Farms":5obv70a9 said:
redlevel":5obv70a9 said:
Spread ryegrass on five acres at rate of 40 pounds ryegrass and 200 pounds 16-4-8 fertilizer this morning. Hired man "dragging it in" now with drag made from tires. Planted on fresh harrowed dirt. Waiting on Michael now.

I'm Michael. But I'm changed my recommendation because of the other Michael that's coming. I was gonna say wait. I'm waiting now. Maybe you will be ok. If it comes in here and rains 8-12" then all bets are off. As long as it doesn't wash I think you will be ok. I thought about planting today but I am short on help and had to go to my "real job". Hopefully I will be able to plant next week but it's possible that if we get enough rain plus a little behind it that I won't be able to get in the field for a month. Oh well, can't control the weather. Better to embrace it and roll with it.

I'm hedging. I planted about 1/4 of what I intend to plant total yesterday. Hopefully, after the rain, I can get in early next week and drill about 10-12 acres of rye. JMJ, you must be close to Cordele or Vienna. I'm about 30 miles SW of Macon, in Taylor County. I'm at my "real job" today, too, else I would probably be planting today.

I'm about 45 miles east of Cordele. Dodge County. Smack dab in the middle of Eastman, Milan, Rhine and Chauncey.

I've got a food plot that I fixed for my kids that's in a really really wet place. I planted it today. Didn't even cover it up. Just scattered it on top of harrowed dirt. It may all wind up in the branch. Figured with the amount of rain we've got coming I'd experiment a little. I also know it was now or never. It won't dry out again after this until next summer.

JMJ Farms":1at21qem said:
redlevel":1at21qem said:
JMJ Farms":1at21qem said:
I'm Michael. But I'm changed my recommendation because of the other Michael that's coming. I was gonna say wait. I'm waiting now. Maybe you will be ok. If it comes in here and rains 8-12" then all bets are off. As long as it doesn't wash I think you will be ok. I thought about planting today but I am short on help and had to go to my "real job". Hopefully I will be able to plant next week but it's possible that if we get enough rain plus a little behind it that I won't be able to get in the field for a month. Oh well, can't control the weather. Better to embrace it and roll with it.

I'm hedging. I planted about 1/4 of what I intend to plant total yesterday. Hopefully, after the rain, I can get in early next week and drill about 10-12 acres of rye. JMJ, you must be close to Cordele or Vienna. I'm about 30 miles SW of Macon, in Taylor County. I'm at my "real job" today, too, else I would probably be planting today.

I'm about 45 miles east of Cordele. Dodge County. Smack dab in the middle of Eastman, Milan, Rhine and Chauncey.

I've got a food plot that I fixed for my kids that's in a really really wet place. I planted it today. Didn't even cover it up. Just scattered it on top of harrowed dirt. It may all wind up in the branch. Figured with the amount of rain we've got coming I'd experiment a little. I also know it was now or never. It won't dry out again after this until next summer.
I hope you planted some wheat and turnips?

True Grit Farms":3nwyruf9 said:
JMJ Farms":3nwyruf9 said:
redlevel":3nwyruf9 said:

It may not ever sprout one hill Grit but I done it right. 2 Ac. Put 500 lb of 5-10-15 and 250 lb of 34-0-0. Planted rape, radishes, clover, wheat, rye, and oats. Dirt was real soft where I had harrowed it so I'm hoping the rain will plant it for me. Figure if it doesn't work then it's just a food plot. If it does work then I will have an ace in the hole if I ever find myself in a similar situation in the future. My reasoning was that if small grains will sprout in the back of my truck then they should sprout with three days of heavy moisture and good soil contact. Time will tell!

JMJ Farms":2ka67tpt said:
True Grit Farms":2ka67tpt said:
JMJ Farms":2ka67tpt said:

It may not ever sprout one hill Grit but I done it right. 2 Ac. Put 500 lb of 5-10-15 and 250 lb of 34-0-0. Planted rape, radishes, clover, wheat, rye, and oats. Dirt was real soft where I had harrowed it so I'm hoping the rain will plant it for me. Figure if it doesn't work then it's just a food plot. If it does work then I will have an ace in the hole if I ever find myself in a similar situation in the future. My reasoning was that if small grains will sprout in the back of my truck then they should sprout with three days of heavy moisture and good soil contact. Time will tell!
You'll be fine, my turnips look great. I have no idea where they found enough moisture to survive on. The oats are alright in the shade and look good in the low spots. I'm re drilling everything after the hurricane with some oats and peas for opening day.

True Grit Farms":vu7fgvbp said:
JMJ Farms":vu7fgvbp said:
True Grit Farms":vu7fgvbp said:

You'll be fine, my turnips look great. I have no idea where they found enough moisture to survive on. The oats are alright in the shade and look good in the low spots. I'm re drilling everything after the hurricane with some oats and peas for opening day.

I hope to be able to plant some more next week as well. Have to see how wet we get and how much time it takes to fix whatever damage we have from this storm. Still have some winter grazing to sow as well but at least the ground is prepared.