Plant now, or wait?

Help Support CattleToday:

redlevel

Reaction score
According to the calendar, it's time to plant winter grazing in middle Georgia. According to the thermometer, it ain't. Supposed to be 92* today, low 90s the next few days, and mid-80s for ten days after that. I bought my seed, Wrens Rye and TamTbo ryegrass, three weeks ago. Got fertilizer under the barn. Soil moisture is marginal. I intend to drill the rye into harrowed ground, and "drag in" theryegrass, some on harrowed dirt, and some over seeded into Bermuda that has been harrowed. I don't know whether to go ahead and plant, or wait till cooler temps. One problem is that even with low moisture, the Bermuda won't go dormant. Afraid the drilled rye will sprout, and then die off with high temps and limited soil moisture. One hundred miles South of the ATL. What to do?

Wait to plant when you get significant moisture on the horizon , Temps will change in a couple weeks . We are in same boat here but no moisture to speak of . Plans are to dust in some this weekend and it will laythere till we get some rains 5 to 10 days out

I've been waiting; I think the time's right this weekend. The weather liars have rain in our forecast several times the next 10 days AND the temps are supposed to be highs in the 70s next week and 60s the following week.

I finished my oats this morning. I planted some 18 days ago that are up about 3" now. Broadcasting some crimson clover in the morning.

I would go ahead and drill whatever you are going to. The seed will be there and grow when its ready. Maybe hold off on the broadcasting where it doesn't have to be as dry. It may start raining and then not get dry enough to plant for weeks.

Oats is a lot tougher than ryegrass. Although not ideal, it can take heat and dry conditions ryegrass won't.

My oats is up and doing welL also. Clover is to. Along with all kinds of other stuff and weeds.....

redlevel":1g3wbpdz said:
According to the calendar, it's time to plant winter grazing in middle Georgia. According to the thermometer, it ain't. Supposed to be 92* today, low 90s the next few days, and mid-80s for ten days after that. I bought my seed, Wrens Rye and TamTbo ryegrass, three weeks ago. Got fertilizer under the barn. Soil moisture is marginal. I intend to drill the rye into harrowed ground, and "drag in" theryegrass, some on harrowed dirt, and some over seeded into Bermuda that has been harrowed. I don't know whether to go ahead and plant, or wait till cooler temps. One problem is that even with low moisture, the Bermuda won't go dormant. Afraid the drilled rye will sprout, and then die off with high temps and limited soil moisture. One hundred miles South of the ATL. What to do?

Redlevel, I'm about 60 miles south of Macon. It was 89 here today. I'm in the same boat as you. Calendar says go but the weather says wait. I just got through chiseling and harrowing about 8:30 tonight. Now I'm gonna let it sit there for at least another week and maybe two. Moisture is marginal here as well. But it's still just too hot. I will plant rye or oats when daytime temps are 90. But there has to be a 30 degree difference in day vs night temps before I plant when it's this hot. And right now we don't have but about 20 degrees different here. That's just my rule of thumb that I picked up somewhere along the way and it's always worked for me.

As far as overseeding, my Bermuda is a good ways from being dormant. I probably won't overseed with ryegrass until early December. I've had pretty good results with the Tamtbo ryegrass. I still like Marshall best.

Long story short, spreader truck didn't overlap my seed last year and I wound up drilling strips of Triticale that they gave me where they messed up. Cows would eat it before the rye or oats or ryegrass. But I didn't have a big enough spot to be able to accurately test how it would hold up under grazing pressure.

Want to start early as possible, and extend as long as possible.
I planted mid-October last year, and could have started mid-December, but waited until January. My grass did well, but I didn't have sufficient acreage. I had to buy a lot of hay in March and April. Don't want to do that this season. I'm planting rye for dead of winter grazing, and ryegrass for late winter/spring grazing. I have a couple of patches with a fair stand of crimson clover, as well as common vetch, which the cows seem to love.

Sometimes you just have to gamble I guess. First week of October is just about gone. Like you said, the calendar says it's time.

I planted my oats a several weeks earlier this year than I have in recent years. Mostly because mid October oats just doesn't get established and growing before the short colder days show up. The several tropical disturbances that hung around sure helped.

I spent all day in the field today and will finish tomorrow. Dang tractor overheated because of the outside temp. But ryegrass is going in the ground.

Redlevel, they're giving a pretty good chance of rain Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week. If we get a decent rain I think I'm gonna walk the plank and hope for the best.

Well, they're giving us an 80% shot of a good deal of rain by Wed night or Thursday. Off this hurricane. I have to work at my part time job Tuesday through Thursday, so I'm going to spread some of my ryegrass today, and drag it in. Will wait to drill rye hopefully next week.

Spread ryegrass on five acres at rate of 40 pounds ryegrass and 200 pounds 16-4-8 fertilizer this morning. Hired man "dragging it in" now with drag made from tires. Planted on fresh harrowed dirt. Waiting on Michael now.

redlevel":sktm7xr6 said:
Spread ryegrass on five acres at rate of 40 pounds ryegrass and 200 pounds 16-4-8 fertilizer this morning. Hired man "dragging it in" now with drag made from tires. Planted on fresh harrowed dirt. Waiting on Michael now.

I'm Michael. But I'm changed my recommendation because of the other Michael that's coming. I was gonna say wait. I'm waiting now. Maybe you will be ok. If it comes in here and rains 8-12" then all bets are off. As long as it doesn't wash I think you will be ok. I thought about planting today but I am short on help and had to go to my "real job". Hopefully I will be able to plant next week but it's possible that if we get enough rain plus a little behind it that I won't be able to get in the field for a month. Oh well, can't control the weather. Better to embrace it and roll with it.

JMJ Farms":27qxuc9u said:
redlevel":27qxuc9u said:

I'm Michael. But I'm changed my recommendation because of the other Michael that's coming. I was gonna say wait. I'm waiting now. Maybe you will be ok. If it comes in here and rains 8-12" then all bets are off. As long as it doesn't wash I think you will be ok. I thought about planting today but I am short on help and had to go to my "real job". Hopefully I will be able to plant next week but it's possible that if we get enough rain plus a little behind it that I won't be able to get in the field for a month. Oh well, can't control the weather. Better to embrace it and roll with it.

I'm hedging. I planted about 1/4 of what I intend to plant total yesterday. Hopefully, after the rain, I can get in early next week and drill about 10-12 acres of rye. JMJ, you must be close to Cordele or Vienna. I'm about 30 miles SW of Macon, in Taylor County. I'm at my "real job" today, too, else I would probably be planting today.

Latest posts