Plant Identification

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I know this looks like a member of the mint family - it is not, the stem/stalk is not square.

16a4nzo.jpg

It prefers moist locations and grows in both sun and shade. When I had the forage feildday here, the agronomist told me what it was - I forgot but seems it is not desirable. It is mature in some spots and has a spiny stalk which is forming a seed pod. Seems the seeds are stick tights like.

Any ideas?

Chocolate Cow":23cs231w said:
Pig weed aka Palmer Amaranth?
Looks like it to me too, but at that stage, it's hard to tell whether it's Palmers or redroot, or even water hemp for that matter. The water hemp I've seen had skinnier leaves tho. It's an amaranth too.

Craig Miller":gkhy3ps3 said:
Perilla mint.........
The Perilla I've seen has a more rounded/less elongated leaf than what Ron has posted.
Perilla also has square stems--Ron stated his stems are round.

Pigweed has thorns... Does this have thorns? Doesn't look like pigweed to me though, but there are different varieties that grow elsewhere...

cowgirl8":17kqdsxh said:
Pigweed has thorns... Does this have thorns? Doesn't look like pigweed to me though, but there are different varieties that grow elsewhere...

It is not any variety of pig weed. It is not a mint although it sure looks like a variety of mint - all mints have the square stalk/stem.

It is not a large plant in fact it actually is a lot like catnip. But all mints have the square stem.

We were driving through a hay field yesterday and out in the middle there was a clump of weeds i'd never seen before...They look similar to what you pictured, but they were taller....

cowgirl8":2rcii4ct said:
Wrong. There's sixty dozen different kinds of pigweed. One has thorns and it is the one known as careless weed. It's called that because it looks like like any other innocent variety of pig weed but when you carelessly go to pull it up, you get thorns in your hands. The pic Bright Raven posted does not look like pig weed, wrong color, wrong leaf shape, wrong everything.

ga.prime":3hokj6xs said:
cowgirl8":3hokj6xs said:
There's sixty dozen different kinds of pigweed. One has thorns and it is the one known as careless weed. It's called that because it looks like like any other innocent variety of pig weed but when you carelessly go to pull it up, you get thorns in your hands. The pic Bright Raven posted does not look like pig weed, wrong color, wrong leaf shape.

It is not pig weed. This is much smaller. I did a search for plants that look like mints but did not find a match.

Bright Raven":18vp6p23 said:
ga.prime":18vp6p23 said:
cowgirl8":18vp6p23 said:
There's sixty dozen different kinds of pigweed. One has thorns and it is the one known as careless weed. It's called that because it looks like like any other innocent variety of pig weed but when you carelessly go to pull it up, you get thorns in your hands. The pic Bright Raven posted does not look like pig weed, wrong color, wrong leaf shape.

It is not pig weed.
Yeah, that's what I said.

TexasBred":1rqj3mpi said:
Craig Miller":1rqj3mpi said:
Chocolate Cow":1rqj3mpi said:
Pig weed aka Palmer Amaranth?

Looks different than that to me.

That looks like what folks around here call "careless weed".
We have a weed that's called careless weed. Its has almost no leaves, but more of a needle type...well, hard to put into words...but it gets really tall and has tiny little flowers on them....We got an area of them on one of our pastures, husband said someone told him that's what it is...lol...maybe its just careless because you let it grow maybe....
I think we've all concluded its not pigweed... I mentioned that there are different types because some do not have thorns...The one that grows here does and only grows where we feed hay, thank goodness. I'd hate this crud all over. Gets stalks that are bark like covered tree trunks if you let it get very big.

ga.prime":f86f1etm said:
cowgirl8":f86f1etm said:
Wrong. There's sixty dozen different kinds of pigweed. One has thorns and it is the one known as careless weed. It's called that because it looks like like any other innocent variety of pig weed but when you carelessly go to pull it up, you get thorns in your hands. The pic Bright Raven posted does not look like pig weed, wrong color, wrong leaf shape, wrong everything.

Cows horses and hogs will eat every careless they can get too.

Craig Miller":2v3cviss said:
How does this compare to it?

Almost identical. But trust me. It has a round stem. Perilla is in the mint family. My research is that there are no exceptions - all members of the mint family have a square stem.

Edited: it looks more like Catnip which is also a mint than it does like Perilla.

Bright Raven":1wghspdk said:
Craig Miller":1wghspdk said:
How does this compare to it?

Almost identical. But trust me. It has a round stem. Perilla is in the mint family. My research is that there are no exceptions - all members of the mint family have a square stem.

Edited: it looks more like Catnip which is also a mint than it does like Perilla.

I believe you...lol....that is a picture of mulberry weed. Fatuoua villosa.

Latest posts