Plant Identification

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score

Can someone tell me what this plant is called? It is quite persistent. The cattle eat it. But it is very thick in places and seems to spread year to year. Is it something i should try to eradicate?

I have sprayed the area w 24d twice in 2 years. Maybe put it in limp mode for a short while. Maybe it wasnt strong enough. Or maybe this is closely related to grass?

Don;t know what it is but it looks like Remedy is what is needed because of the woody stem.

It seems to be growing where ever there hasn't been grass for a while. Sun. Shade. Wet. Dry. Doesn't seem to matter.

It grows thick. That was all off one stem. It isn't really woody. It kind of looks like the growth structure of clover. Maybe a little tougher.

I will see if I can get a better picture.

Basketgrass/microstegium possibly. Loves the shade and other areas my bermuda grass does not grow.

She is just worn out at the moment in that pic. Had been chasing buzzards for a good hour. Any bird really.

She is a good one!

Alabama Cooperative Extension guide ANR 1457 has some really good pictures for identification of japanese stiltgrass/microstegium. Map also shows where it can be found. Considered invasive.

Dogs and Cows":35myewtj said:
dun":35myewtj said:
Don;t know what it is but it looks like Remedy is what is needed because of the woody stem.

Dun, will remedy kill pasture grasses too? How about young sweetgum and tulip poplar saplings?

Thanks,
Tim
Won;t touch the grasses but will wack the sweet gums

Latest posts