Plans for the year

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd like to find a good used JD 750 no till drill this year to use next year. If I could rejuvenate hay fields without all the farming I'd be money ahead. Not to mention the time saved.

I'd like to find a good used JD 750 no till drill this year to use next year. If I could rejuvenate hay fields without all the farming I'd be money ahead. Not to mention the time saved.
Outside Spokane there's a 15' with a 3rd gang for deep banding. Odd thing is it looks like a grass seed box plumbed in that gang so I'm not sure if somebody used it for inter-seeding shallow crops into a cereal? I can pass the link on if you're interested. On our 3 rank 750 the front rank is for placing liquid fertilizer below and to the side of the seed.

We need to hire a young ranch hand.
When we built this ranch years ago, we planned on having help.
When our only son was killed, we got our nephew....that lasted about 1 year....city boy.... worried about getting poop on him.😂
It's extremely hard to trust someone when you really love your ranch and animals. Yes we do it for the great beef and hopefully a little bit of profit....but we love what we do !

Planning on making it to the end of the year....but that is really out of my control. Planning on taking a cruise somewhere or at least a get away trip. Got a grandson baking at the moment, so spending time with grandkids is high on the list.

As for the cows.... as little meddling as possible. I ordered out 500 gallons of diesel back in October. Last batch lasted almost 3 years. Back in 2007 I used around 900 gallons a year. I think I'm getting this "not meddling" down pretty good.

Looks like I spoke too soon anyways, it's no longer listed so must of gotten snatched up over the last week or so. If I remember I'll get a photo of ours put up, it's been modified for the hills we run it on.

I am going to try some summer annuals. Graze or hay.

Got a lot of water and fence improvements to make this year.

Need to figure which route we are going on these cattle. I wanna ditch the breeders and buy feeders and take all the way. Cows eat too much!

I don't foresee anything different. Got things running pretty smoothly. Nephew has been a God-sent. Moved in with me after Ken died, for "60 days" for calving. That was 10 years ago. He is a permanent fixture.
Been working on building my numbers back up - especially my reds. Been making a lot of sales (which is GREAT) but they've been mostly my reds. So, trying to build them back up. I price everything. The more I want to keep them - because of looks or pedigree or cow family - the higher the price. That way, when someone comes along and buys 1 or 5 - I can cry all the way to the bank.
I have a hard time finding a GOOD RED bull that fits my needs. Always looking for that great one. Sucks when you have great cows and can't find a match for them. I know, I know - bragging again. But, it's fact.
We are almost finished with our Jan/Feb calving. Got 19 on the ground with 11 left. Just moved our fall group of 11 to the back. Hoping they are all bred. Painted their tailhead HOT PINK. Boy do they stand out!!!
Got a dozen great replacement heifers.
Will be putting 6 head in the Stars & Stripes Sale.

Latest posts