Planning to wean tomorrow

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
I reckon I got at least twelve old enough and big enough. Also at this point a week overdue their second vaccination for clostridia.

Went into the vet yesterday (Mon). No, they don't have vaccine in farm-size packs. They can get it for Wednesday (tomorrow). So presumably it'll be there for me to pick up in the morning.
Except I've just checked the weather and it says we're in for a week of solid rain and gale-force winds, starting now (it did start raining half an hour ago).
This has *got* to be someone else's fault...

I ain't complaining about the rain, we didn't get any for about seven days last week and now it's needed. Just a bit o' moderation would be nice. Working the calves today would have been even better.

Dried up in the afternoon... so did get it all done.

The weights were a bit disappointing. I weaned ten only.
Suspect the reason is that they're not eating a lot of the grain feed they're offered - a while back I cut the milk right back and took away the hay to try and get them eating more; the only effect was that I then decided to remove the youngest calves from the group and feed them separately so that they, at least, got enough milk. So in the end the hay and the milk went back in the quantities needed for calves that don't eat grain :-(
It's the same feed I've used for years, had this problem one year previous when a different feed company gave me sample bags but the calves never ate them.

Still, they're probably only about a week behind where I thought their weights should be.
And I got a new garden planted in that nice wet dirt.

Latest posts