Planning Questions???

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Two questions:
A) Can a power pole be fenced in my pasture?
B) When planning where to put my gates from one pasture to another does it matter if the gate is in the exact corner, or can it be close to the corner?

Thanks.

Power lines go through pastures everywhere so I would say yes. If that is what your question is. If you are asking if I would put wire on a power pole, I would not.

Your problem with gates is going to be young calves. A corner gate would be better. When I am moving the cows from pasture to pasture, the cows fall in and get through the gates. Inevitably, a calf gets on the wrong side of the gate. I try to open all gates away from the direction the cows are going but that is not always possible due to terrain. Hence, try to place your gates so that they can open in both directions so that you don't wind up with calves behind the open gate. Corners are much better for hedging them in. Go with the widest gate possible so that you can pull trailers and such through with no issues.

Power poles can not be contacted anyway, if they are fenced in remember at some point the power company will have to get in there to work on it or replace it. It may be scheduled work where they can contact you or in the middle of a stormy nite where they have to mud it in. In an emergency situation where hundreds may be out of power the fence will be taken down to repair so always leave easy access for the power company.

Agree with bhb - widest gate is best. I put in some 10s in some places - and it's hard to make the turn into them, if you're trailing an implement or if it's a big fertilizer truck - or a bulldozer.
That, and, regardless of how wide a gate is, cows will always try go to through in numbers at least 1 cow wider than the gateway will accomodate; if it's wide enough for 5 cows to walk through abreast, 6 or 7 will try to run through all at the same time. Never fails.
Gates in a corner of the field are typically easier to funnel 'em through.

I agree with the rest of em.. put the gate in the corner.

As far as fencing off a power pole... why do you want to?
I think its best not to, because if the power company wants to work on it, or change it out for some reason, the fence will have to come down. I got several power poles in my pastures, and the cows dont seem to mind em at all. good for neck scratchin..