Planning on retiring....

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
We had made plans to cut back on the beef operation and start getting ready to retire early. Even sold the boat and bought a motor home that only sleeps three and is a 38 footer.

Anyway...today I manned a booth at a congretation where we
have established a farmer's market. Sort of a community awareness thing. I was next to one of the folks that we worked with all summer. We talked cows and busness and I let him know that we culled pretty hard this fall and sold all the heifer calves because of the drought, hay prices, and retirement plans but kept the production steers, bred cows and heifers and the bull.
Well he said that was to bad because his dad has 300+ acres and has been looking to have someone run cows on the property....I almost choked and asked him what he was looking for per head for grazing fees. I was really taken back when he told me that his dad just missed being around cattle and didn't want any money. Hate to have a lease twenty miles away that is fenced and has water and working pens...even a hay barn.

I'll be meeting with his dad and having a look at the property this week....could put in a few more years; besides, there are always real good cows just waiting to be bought.

Free pasture ( I'll offer free beef in return) and a old rancher that checks the place every day and knows and likes cows.

Need to slip an extra twenty in he collection plate next week!

Dave Mc

Yup! I'd say an extra $20 is called for... :)

Alice

I think you are like most of us, you talk about retirement or doing something else,then go out and take on more work than ever. :tiphat:

Larry

Latest posts