Planning for the future

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I am just starting a beef cattle herd here in the great state of Alabama . What trends should I be planning for in 3-5 years? What current trends will be phased out? I read alot about Black angus, Grass fed, the cattle cycle, Canadian beef, Japan import , all natural, BSE etc . I am thinking that if I am not preparing for the future I could get left in the past. My goal is to be profitable now and in the future. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

avoid fads

keep your expenses down unless they will pay for themselves right quick or they are 100% necessary for running cattle

start at a scale where you dont have go in debt even if it means being smaller than you like. at least till you know what your doin and what yo u want to do. if you go in debt make sure its at a level where its workin for you and your not working for it.

listen to folks who arent flashy and are still happy

enjoy yourself

denoginnizer":b4plt829 said:
I am just starting a beef cattle herd here in the great state of Alabama . What trends should I be planning for in 3-5 years? What current trends will be phased out? I read alot about Black angus, Grass fed, the cattle cycle, Canadian beef, Japan import , all natural, BSE etc . I am thinking that if I am not preparing for the future I could get left in the past. My goal is to be profitable now and in the future. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

The most important thing I ever learned about raising cattle and how to be profitable was...

"Do what works for your operation".

When I first started, I learned as much as I could. I read everything, asked questions, etc. In the end I was so darn confused about what I ought to do that I had less of a clue than when I started. If I followed everything folks said I should be doing, I'd have to go out of business cuz one will say "Do This!" and the next one says "Don't do that". It didn't help that most of these folks were looking to make a buck while giving their advice!

Also...the internet is not the world. Cattle magazines are not the world. Yes, what happens in the world can affect you, but some of the ways they hype things up....make the unwary believe they were headed for certain failure.

Find what works for you, in your situation. Heck, I probably couldn't give away a grass fed beef around here, yet I know folks who are making a decent living selling them that way. Works for them, not for me.

Jena