Placing embryos 30 days after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

OhioFarmer87

Reaction score
I know the standard time to place embryos is after 60 days but I have some cows that need to come back around to date to calve earlier in the year. Has anyone ever tried placing embryos 30 days post calving or earlier? How was the success and conception rate? I have some that calved last week in march that Im thinking about putting some in the beginning of may. Any info is helpful! Thanks

Wait until after you see the first heat; putting them in before you see that will get you a big ol' goose egg. Suggestion is wait until the first heat, and then, either put them in at the appropriate number of days after you see cows come in heat ... or ... wait until they've all come into heat once, then synchronize them at the same time. Each guy will do it differently depending on their situation.

I strongly doubt it would work well. I have never had much luck with anything less than 60. We did get a few pregnancies, but I have never tried that again.

OhioFarmer87":5h2z4136 said:
I know the standard time to place embryos is after 60 days but I have some cows that need to come back around to date to calve earlier in the year. Has anyone ever tried placing embryos 30 days post calving or earlier? How was the success and conception rate? I have some that calved last week in march that Im thinking about putting some in the beginning of may. Any info is helpful! Thanks

First question is why do they need to be moved up? Is it because they later than the rest of the group? If it is because they do not breed when they should, the answer is do not even think of using them as recips.

The first qualification for a recip is she needs to be fertile so she settles the embryo and does not resorb it.

Our embryologist does not like putting them in before 45 days. The earliest we have done it is 38 days, and she stuck. Just had a 3 year old nursing her second calf come in this morning, she is 37 days post calving. She had a small calf and no complications, so I am going to put one in her next week.
The biggest concern is having time for the uterus to repair and return to normal size. So each cow is different.
I hope that helps!

I am moving them up bc I have gotten into show cattle and want those jan and feb calves. Most of these cattle take first stick and I AI everything myself. Trying to set up and AI all the cows myself I didn't get them done until it was for March and April calves last year.

I am placing embryos. I just got into show cattle last fall. I raised commerical cattle now switching over to mostly all show and putting embryos in my commerical herd. I used to AI everything myself and got them done late last year. Last one just calved Saturday.

OhioFarmer87":1z1phd8t said:
I am placing embryos. I just got into show cattle last fall. I raised commerical cattle now switching over to mostly all show and putting embryos in my commerical herd. I used to AI everything myself and got them done late last year. Last one just calved Saturday.

Even if you only wait 30 days you will not make the Feb mark for calving. Did you keep replacement heifers in 2014? If yes I would use them and get them on a recip program asap to implant within the next 2 weeks.

Latest posts