Pistol suggestion?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018":g2k2swhb said:
flaboy":g2k2swhb said:
What would the main purpose of this gun be?
Multi purpose I guess, additional home defense/personal protection.
Might want something that could be concealed carry in case I decide to.
Something that could be packed on a tractor fairly easy.
And just to have it in case I can' get one later.

Well semi autos are not the most accurate but they will dispense a lot of rounds quickly.

This is really a hard decision. If I were to have only one gun it would be a 357 stainless revolver. Virtually weather proof, has more penetration than the 9, 40, or 45. You can shoot 38's in it for practise, bird shoot for snakes (autos can't do this), Tactical HST's in 357 for self defense or hogs. they can be had in sizes about the same as medium framed auto's. Dirt and dust from the tractors won't have much affect on them as opposed to autos.

Yep, one gun for me would be the 357 revolver from your favorite manufacturer.

flaboy":375448wc said:
You can shoot 38's in it for practise, bird shoot for snakes (autos can't do this),

Many of them can, depends on the model/manufacturer

dun":2vidkchk said:
flaboy":2vidkchk said:
You can shoot 38's in it for practise, bird shoot for snakes (autos can't do this),

Maybe I should have said "autos can't do this reliably". I have S&W, Ruger, Spring Field Arm, and a couple I forget and not a one will shoot bird shot reliably. One or two rounds and they jam. Heck the 9's even jam with just SWC's in them. The 40's and 45's will shoot SWC's pretty decent.

flaboy":ypn9espp said:
tom4018":ypn9espp said:
flaboy":ypn9espp said:
What would the main purpose of this gun be?
Multi purpose I guess, additional home defense/personal protection.
Might want something that could be concealed carry in case I decide to.
Something that could be packed on a tractor fairly easy.
And just to have it in case I can' get one later.

Well semi autos are not the most accurate but they will dispense a lot of rounds quickly.

This is really a hard decision. If I were to have only one gun it would be a 357 stainless revolver. Virtually weather proof, has more penetration than the 9, 40, or 45. You can shoot 38's in it for practise, bird shoot for snakes (autos can't do this), Tactical HST's in 357 for self defense or hogs. they can be had in sizes about the same as medium framed auto's. Dirt and dust from the tractors won't have much affect on them as opposed to autos.

Yep, one gun for me would be the 357 revolver from your favorite manufacturer.

My thought exactly when I got my blackhawk. :clap:

flaboy":dp146wlk said:
dun":dp146wlk said:
flaboy":dp146wlk said:

Maybe I should have said "autos can't do this reliably". I have S&W, Ruger, Spring Field Arm, and a couple I forget and not a one will shoot bird shot reliably. One or two rounds and they jam. Heck the 9's even jam with just SWC's in them. The 40's and 45's will shoot SWC's pretty decent.

In my opinion, a S&W will jam fairly more than most any other pistol. Dont like em at all.

Most of the autos have conversions that you can put on them to allow shooting .22 lr through them. Cheap practice and helps with comfort/familiarity.

Limomike":395erks7 said:
In my opinion, a S&W will jam fairly more than most any other pistol. Dont like em at all.

I saw a test in a gun mag one time years back so I can't say this is today's guns. They shot 10,000 rounds through a 9mm Ruger, 9mm Glock, and a 9mm S&W. The Ruger was the only gun to shoot all 10,000 rounds without a failure or a cleaning. The Glock was the worse at an average cleaning of around 800 rounds followed by the S&W but I forget it's cleaning needs today.

If memory serves me right, the Glock or S&W needed a repair during that time also. I forget now which brand is was though.

That is interesting, because I had heard that before. It is why I own a 9MM Beretta now. Talk about a great pistol.. it is.

That is why Glock is WAY OVERRATED and OVER PRICED.... :lol2: Its like John Deere for the hobby farmers.

I guess in the big cities they print books that say IF you are going to buy a tractor get a John Deer, IF you are going to buy a pistol get a Glock, IF you are going to buy a shotgun get an over & under. :lol:

Berettas PX4 will do all that and be way more accurate, cheaper also. :nod:

Brute 23":2nq3a1x1 said:
That is why Glock is WAY OVERRATED and OVER PRICED.... :lol2: Its like John Deere for the hobby farmers.

I guess in the big cities they print books that say IF you are going to buy a tractor get a John Deer, IF you are going to buy a pistol get a Glock, IF you are going to buy a shotgun get an over & under. :lol:

Berettas PX4 will do all that and be way more accurate, cheaper also. :nod:

And then try to customize/modify that Glock! :roll:

HOSS":2a2xeqmy said:
If you go with a 9mm pick your ammo carefully. A premium hollowpoint bullet loaded +p is the only way I would use a 9mm. I can speak from personal experience that a 9mm loaded with FMJ bullets are NOT good man stoppers unless a shot is placed in the head or directly into heavy bone. The heavy bone hit only slows them down long enough for the second shot to be in the head. I prefer a .40 loaded with Remington Golden Sabers or a .45 loaded with the same. I have a Kimber Pro-Carry in .45 that I carry regularly. It carrys concealed pretty well, recoil is manageable and it hits with authority.

You beat me to it, Hoss. I personally think you're right on. The 9mm is really a runt .38 shell so if you want to do any damage with the 9 you don't have much choice but to use Talons or the like.

My wife's 9mm is loaded with something that will tear an arm off if you hit them in the finger but I use a 45. It's a 3/4 scale 1911 and it's real comfortable.

Try some Tactical HST's in your favorite caliber. Tests show it makes a bigger hole than the Hydra Shocks.

flaboy":32d8pp2g said:
tom4018":32d8pp2g said:
Anyone got a Springfield XD?

Yep, great gun. Very well made. I have the 40.

I like the feel of that gun, considered the 40 or 45. I guess I will have to put the purchase off for a while though due to finances.

In an auto, I like the HK in a .40 caliber, very good and accurate gun. Revolver would be a S&W 357 stainless. Those two will knock down pretty much anything you shoot, except a big bear or a wild hog, for those instances I like my S&W 460 magnum! :lol2:

tom4018":1wl3rw88 said:
Anyone got a Springfield XD?

Dont own one yet but I have shot it in 45 and really like it. In 9mm version the clips hold 20 or 23 rounds(where legal) a guy could waste ammo pretty quick with that.

Running Arrow Bill":1zss7zr3 said:
Besides accurate shot placement with a large calibre, the most effective plan is to create distance between you and the attacker...

And...never take a knife to a gun fight...lol!

Particularly if he/she has a knife. "" ..."Rule of 21": within 21 feet, a subject with a knife can kill you before you can deploy your sidearm from its holster and engage that subject."

Latest posts