Pistol suggestion?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Wanting a larger caliber pistol than my 22 Browning. Any favorites? Any suggestions? For some reason I want a 9mm or 45 auto. Leaning to the 9mm to be cheaper to shoot it.

Ill vote 9mm. You can get ammo for it anywhere on the cheap and anyone can shoot it. My wife shoots mine no problem. Scott

I'd recommend the .45. Nice slow moving large bullet that will knock down about anybody you shoot with it. .357 is also a great caliber for self defense. .40 caliber is also nice. 9mm is also a good choice and I do own one but it isn't my first second or third choice. :D The 9mm can be easier for most women to shoot but it can also be a handful in a lightweight handgun. You might also want to consider a .380. Ruger recently came out with a new one that will almost fit in the palm of your hand. Great for concealed carry and they are quite a bit more powerful than a .22. All that said .22s are very deadly with the correct ammo and shot placement. Happy shopping!

I'd go with a .40 or .45, perhaps a .380 in semi-automatic...just make sure the shooter has practice with any gun.

A .22 is next to useless for self-defense against either 2 or 4 legged critters. with a .22, .25, or .32 one must be VERY accurate and hit a vital spot dead center. Otherwise, you will just make the subject MAD!

Your objective is to "stop the threat". Remember that an adrenalin charged attacker can cover 21 feet in approximately 3 seconds. Even those in Law Enforcement have reported that SOME attackers can still keep coming after emptying a clip! Besides accurate shot placement with a large calibre, the most effective plan is to create distance between you and the attacker...

And...never take a knife to a gun fight...lol!

What are you wanting to use it for?

I carry a Ruger .357 Blackhawk in my truck. Its enough power to kill a deer or hog or you can play around with .38 with out it beating you up. THey can be had for a very reasonable price also compared to most gun on the market right now.

Well,Brute23 beat me to it. If your going to use it for concealed carry, get something you will carry and realize that big caliber guns for the most part are heavy. If its for hunting then big calibers and long barrel length rule. If you handload, that opens up a lot more options. I personally like 38/357 for an all round caliber.

I have 3 different ones that are with me on a regular basis, depending on the situation and proper dress code. The S&W .38 airweight is for when "dress up" clothes are in order. The .40 Glock is there under most other situations. The .45 Kimber is always close by for everything else.

The .45 would always be my first choice, however it's too big and heavy to carry all day.

tom4018":1x3eu8r3 said:
Wanting a larger caliber pistol than my 22 Browning. Any favorites? Any suggestions? For some reason I want a 9mm or 45 auto. Leaning to the 9mm to be cheaper to shoot it.

The 9mm is a nice gun and the Sig Sauer is sweet. So the HK. For knock down power, it's hard to beat the 45. Most of the 1911 varieties are highly customizable and target ammo is not so expensive. A carry weapon would be another whole ball game. Even the 45 comes in many compact versions.

Brute 23":3cb9w4o4 said:
What are you wanting to use it for?

I carry a Ruger .357 Blackhawk in my truck. Its enough power to kill a deer or hog or you can play around with .38 with out it beating you up. THey can be had for a very reasonable price also compared to most gun on the market right now.

Wanted one for another home defense option, target and if I ever wanted to carry? Guess I am worried that things might change and make it harder to get one later.

I think you may have every right to be worried. Will other members of your family be using it also? Ive found that it is easier and generally safer to teach other members to shoot with a revolver. I am biased but I think a .357 with a 4inch barrel might fit the bill, and you can get one of reasonable quality without emptying your bank account JMO.

I like a 9MM Beretta. It has an excellent grip, and it sure is a smooth shooting pistol. Sig Sauer is also a good choice.

newrancher":86ilwvxb said:
I think you may have every right to be worried. Will other members of your family be using it also? Ive found that it is easier and generally safer to teach other members to shoot with a revolver. I am biased but I think a .357 with a 4inch barrel might fit the bill, and you can get one of reasonable quality without emptying your bank account JMO.
Looking at Gunbroker you really don't see revolvers too cheap either. I know they are simple, but partial to autos in everything.

Running Arrow Bill":db2nhssn said:
Your objective is to "stop the threat". Remember that an adrenalin charged attacker can cover 21 feet in approximately 3 seconds. Even those in Law Enforcement have reported that SOME attackers can still keep coming after emptying a clip! Besides accurate shot placement with a large calibre, the most effective plan is to create distance between you and the attacker...

Well said!! And if your in your home against an intruder, it can be extremely difficult to place an accurate pistol shot. Instead, consider a short barreled shotgun with #00. For carry = lightweight and compact. For target - anything. For those that don't want to carry a pistol, consider the c2 taser with optics.

If you go with a 9mm pick your ammo carefully. A premium hollowpoint bullet loaded +p is the only way I would use a 9mm. I can speak from personal experience that a 9mm loaded with FMJ bullets are NOT good man stoppers unless a shot is placed in the head or directly into heavy bone. The heavy bone hit only slows them down long enough for the second shot to be in the head. I prefer a .40 loaded with Remington Golden Sabers or a .45 loaded with the same. I have a Kimber Pro-Carry in .45 that I carry regularly. It carrys concealed pretty well, recoil is manageable and it hits with authority.

BeefmasterB":gx568pq5 said:
Running Arrow Bill":gx568pq5 said:

Well said!! And if your in your home against an intruder, it can be extremely difficult to place an accurate pistol shot. Instead, consider a short barreled shotgun with #00. For carry = lightweight and compact. For target - anything. For those that don't want to carry a pistol, consider the c2 taser with optics.

Also remember that any live confrontation is filled with panic, "slow motion perception," difficult to aim accurately, confrontation may be in dim light or at risk for collateral damage, etc. Even with a high score in practice on targets, an actual encounter may have a wide range of hit patterns and/or misses. Unless one has been professionally trained at one of the high-end range schools, it is darn better to "lie in wait" for an intruder than to nervously start to "clear rooms" as a novice. Homeowners have died after walking down the hall, discovering an intruder, then going back to get and load their gun. Another item: Revolvers only (as a rule) hold 6 shells. Pulling the trigger is slower (for most people) than using a semi-automatic with a lighter trigger pull. You want to get shots off to stop the threat before the intruder advances too close and/or starts firing at you! The pros always say to aim for the largest part of the target...only trained snipers with sophisticated equipment go initially for a head shot...

On another note: If you are out somewhere and you encounter a charging wild hog, bear, or such...you want something with a lot of punch and that will fire more than once easily and rapidly as needed.

;-)

flaboy":cqyum792 said:
What would the main purpose of this gun be?
Multi purpose I guess, additional home defense/personal protection.
Might want something that could be concealed carry in case I decide to.
Something that could be packed on a tractor fairly easy.
And just to have it in case I can' get one later.

For defense it is the .45 hands down. The .40 will come in a respectable second. In short, any caliber that begins with a 4.
Next we have the .357.

.38 and 9mm are better than nothing.
I have read FBI reports where bitter experience turned them away from the 9mm.

Consider ammo cost for practice. Will you now or later be planning to reload ammo?
I would rather have a .22 that I could shoot well and hit with than a cannon that I never practiced with because of ammo cost.
I favor the .45 auto, but most of my fun for practice is in the woods and it is hard to find the brass. So I ususally shoot a revolver or .22.

Ryder":346xjd5c said:
For defense it is the .45 hands down. The .40 will come in a respectable second. In short, any caliber that begins with a 4.
Next we have the .357.

.38 and 9mm are better than nothing.
I have read FBI reports where bitter experience turned them away from the 9mm.

Consider ammo cost for practice. Will you now or later be planning to reload ammo?
I would rather have a .22 that I could shoot well and hit with than a cannon that I never practiced with because of ammo cost.
I favor the .45 auto, but most of my fun for practice is in the woods and it is hard to find the brass. So I ususally shoot a revolver or .22.
I have a Browning Buckmark 22 and wish I could find a center fire pistol that felt and handled like it so shooting either gun would be similar.

Latest posts