Pistol Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
How many of ya have? How about a brief story. Here's one of mine.

Cousin shows up the night before we head out. I didn't know he didn't bring a gun. we are hunting at my uncles place so camped out. Next morning I find out he has no gun (he didn't know we were going). I tell him to take my rifle and I will take my 8 inch heavy barrel Dan Wesson. Everyone sort of snickered. They didn't know I had been shooting silhouettes with it for several years in competition.

About an hour later I am sitting on the ground against a tree behind some brush when I see a nice little 4 (turned out to be a 5 point) walk up to within about 50 yards. He turned broadside to me, I took my normal two handed grip, placed the sights just behind his front shoulder and squeezed as gently as I could till she popped. The deer took off like a rocket and I thought I had missed. I kept telling myself I didn't but when they run like that you have to think. I waited a couple minutes and listened. Nothing! I got up and walked to where he had stood and saw the blood. I trialed the blood into the palmettos where it got thick. I found him just on the other side. I perfect heart shot. He had run about 50 yards.

Was my first deer with a pistol and the only deer that season. All that silhouette shooting paid off that day.

Pig and deer hunted with a .41 Mag Red Hawk and rabbits, coyotes and deer with a Contender in a dozen or more chamberings.

I've took 3 bucks with a S&W model 57 41 mag using hard cast bullets. At any normal range its just as good as a rifle. I lucked out the other day an found a Marlin 1894 NIB chambered for the 41 mag, a very good find.

I'm a good shot with a rifle, but I'm hopeless with a pistol, will never attempt to hunt with one.

I have taken a couple of deer with my trusty S&W Model 19 in .357 magnum. All were shot less than 30 yards. I have one hog to my credit shot in self defense with a S&W .40 Sigma. I have countless squirrels, varmins and common snapping turtles fall to my Browning Buckmark .22 pistol with the heavy sillohuette barrell.

Just seen pics of a deer that was killed about 3 miles from me that was taken with a 357 he scored 198
kinda funny the guy set his rifle down so he could pi$$ and the deer walked up to about 25 yards he couldn't reach his rifle so pulled the pistol out and shot him straight on at the base of his throat he said that was the first thing he ever killed with a short gun

Like Hoss, I too enjoy hunting with my 22's. I have a Ruger Mark 2 slab sided gvmnt model with a 2-7 power scope that loves squirrels. I also have a matched set (consecutive #'s) of S&W model 41's that occasionally see some action, but I'm kinda picky with them. My newest toy, in the 22 line up, is a little Walther P-22 with a red dot scope mounted under the barrel, that thing is he11 on field rats during hay season! I also have an old High Standard HD military that occasionally comes out of retirement. Yea, I know.......It's a sickness. :lol2:

Back when I was working in Alaska I shot several of those little Sitka blacktails with a S&W model 29 44 mag. But it was not like I went out to do it, they were targets of opportunity. Here is Washington pistol hunting for big game was just made legal several years ago.

I've taken deer with both a .357 S & W and my .45 Auto...Those hit with the .357 soft points took a few minutes to go down-- but the ones I hit in the boilermaker with the .45 hydra-shoks only made it a few steps....In fact if I hadn't heard the bullet impact- I thought I missed one as it didn't move- just stood there, then took a couple steps forward and went down...

Oldtimer":2mswsesl said:
I've taken deer with both a .357 S & W and my .45 Auto...Those hit with the .357 soft points took a few minutes to go down-- but the ones I hit in the boilermaker with the .45 hydra-shoks only made it a few steps....In fact if I hadn't heard the bullet impact- I thought I missed one as it didn't move- just stood there, then took a couple steps forward and went down...

I had almost the same thing with 41 mag in the neck of a big boar. I shot it and he just froze. I was getting ready to shoot again and the guy that was with me ran up to the pig and pushed it over. Layed exactly like he had been when he was standing, froze like a statue.

In addition to a pile of squirrels with rimfire handguns I've taken deer, pigs and coyotes with a .44 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk and Contenders in .219 Donaldson or 6.5x30 JDJ. When I'm not on a culling spree and have time to actually hunt a handgun is my weapon of choice.

Latest posts