Pipe/Post pounders

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new Montana 350 driver? I've been using the Danuser T3 for several years and it works great but the Montana looks much faster. Not sure about the Nitrogen fill though. It's reasonably priced also.

On a side note has anyone used a Danuser Hammer with the grapple attachment. My main hold up is trying to find help. If the grapple worked it would be worth the money.

We have two danuser hammers a t3..
I have a friend with the exterra vibratory driver which is what the Montana driver copied.

For me the hammer is the best at breaking through rock. It will drive where drop wieght drivers fail. Although it is a drop wieght technically you can put considerable down pressure. The grapple is great and works well on pipe 3" or large. It's simple to modify it to handle 21/2 inch. It takes a good bit of practice to drive plumb by yourself but once you get the hang of it, not a issue.

T3 on a sidemount and a ground hand can drive a unbelievable amount of tpost in a hour. Not sufficient for pipe in hard ground though.

The vibratory drivers work very well. In dirt , very hard ground etc. In very rocky ground I'll still take the hammer. The nitrogen fill is not to big a deal if you have a good operator that takes care of equipment. These drivers are very sensitive to dry firing... which is operator error.. usually trying to work to fast.
2 cents

Thanks for the reply Fence. I'm on blackland with very little to no rock. I can generally drive a 2 7/8 pipe 58" in the about 3 minutes. The Montana looked like it would cut that in half and be easier to keep the post straight. Danuser doesn't really want to talk about adding the grapple to the T3 but surely something can be rigged up.

If I had it to do over again I would buy the Montana/ breaker style over the Danuser hammer. It's faster and much easier to keep straight/ adjust as you drive. Driving pipe is probably entirely different than wood posts so maybe that would change my opinion but having seen the two go side by side there is no comparison in clay with a wood post. Not sure why a grapple like is on the Danuser hasn't been developed by one of these breaker companies yet but that would be a really handy machine then.

Wish you were closer than Texas I would make you a sweet deal on a Danuser Hammer Lucky.

If I had it to do over again I would buy the Montana/ breaker style over the Danuser hammer. It's faster and much easier to keep straight/ adjust as you drive. Driving pipe is probably entirely different than wood posts so maybe that would change my opinion but having seen the two go side by side there is no comparison in clay with a wood post. Not sure why a grapple like is on the Danuser hasn't been developed by one of these breaker companies yet but that would be a really handy machine then.

Wish you were closer than Texas I would make you a sweet deal on a Danuser Hammer Lucky.

You still trying to sell the thing... LoL

Sweet enough to cover shipping and still be sweet.....?

Maybe? Don't know what it would cost to ship. To many roots and rocks and not enough pipe in this country for me to keep it.

Brute, I've got one looks like that not sure on brand name though. It works but is heavy. Definitely a time saver in really hard ground.

25# sounds right. Never used or seen the pipe model. I bought mine used from a guy that said he was never building fence again. Lol

Looked at the ManSaver you show about a year ago, and almost bought one, but then decided that needing a generator and an air compressor to run it would just be too cumbersome. When I watch how the air hose flops around as it drives, I gotta wonder how long that'd last too. I've driven about 1200 line posts in the last year... all by hand. But I'm not in "pure rock" country, so it's still not too bad. Good exercise! :) Sure will wear you out on a hot day though!

Looked at the ManSaver you show about a year ago, and almost bought one, but then decided that needing a generator and an air compressor to run it would just be too cumbersome. When I watch how the air hose flops around as it drives, I gotta wonder how long that'd last too. I've driven about 1200 line posts in the last year... all by hand. But I'm not in "pure rock" country, so it's still not too bad. Good exercise! :) Sure will wear you out on a hot day though!
It needs a generator and air comp?

I thought it only showed air. I was pretty surprised at how little air it used.

I know it's not commercial grade but for fence work here and there its interesting. Sure saves having to haul tractors and stuff all over. Plus, some times we end up with fence we just want to replace a corner or add a gate. Seems like it would be a little easier to get in tight spots.

It needs a generator and air comp?

I thought it only showed air. I was pretty surprised at how little air it used.

I know it's not commercial grade but for fence work here and there its interesting. Sure saves having to haul tractors and stuff all over. Plus, some times we end up with fence we just want to replace a corner or add a gate. Seems like it would be a little easier to get in tight spots.
It runs on air... but my compressor is electric... so I'd need the generator AND the compressor along.

I liked the ease of portability of the driver itself. Thought it looked to be a little "slow" compared to the "vibrator type of gas powered drivers", especially if you were driving in rocky terrain, but that really isn't TOO much of a negative. The video of course is driving T posts into some pretty easy driving soil... Thought it looked like it could be a finger pincher potentially too, IMO, but certainly not as much potential on that score as my H beam corner post driver!

So that attachment will allow me to use skid steer attachments on my JD Tractor??
If your JD loader has the Euro/Global quick attachment system, otherwise you'll need an adaptor to fit whatever system it's using (500 series JD, 600 series JD, etc). JD has their own Q/A system as well as using the Global style.

For anyone on the fence about buying a driver, I'd have to say it has been one of the best investments I've made. Saves a ton of time and money. The ability to drive a post in a few minutes and be able to weld or pull from it immediately made a huge difference for me. If you have easy access to drill stem I'd say the driver is a must have.

Latest posts