Pipe finally got here

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp":9vq3mx1j said:
I envy your growing season, Jo!

Kathie, I envy your nice pleasant summer temps. In all honesty, we do have nice weather here for 9 months out of the year. Its just those 3 months where it is so hot it just takes the wind out of your sails. I'd love to be in the pacific northwest during those months. Or at least floating in a swimming pool.

Jogeephus":kn3s364e said:
Kathie in Thorp":kn3s364e said:
I envy your growing season, Jo!

Kathie, I envy your nice pleasant summer temps. In all honesty, we do have nice weather here for 9 months out of the year. Its just those 3 months where it is so hot it just takes the wind out of your sails. I'd love to be in the pacific northwest during those months. Or at least floating in a swimming pool.
Have a pond dam, but no pool. You're welcome to come out and float in it any summer, Jo. Not to bust your bubble, but we're on the east side of WA, where we can get 110 temps in the summer, but pretty low humidity -- few rains. The west side would croak with high temps and their humidity. And W-siders can't function when they get the snow we get here. Seattle area is paralyzed with 6" of snow. We can get 1-2 ft. of snow with 25-30 mph winds that block local roads with 4 ft. drifts. The pass between us and them is often closed for days at a time in winter. Not all in WA weather is pleasant. :)

So you are saying you're outside the grunge belt then. ;-) We get the 110 temps and high humiditity during the three months I complain about. It will just take your breath away. 1 inch of snow will shut us down because no one knows how to drive in the snow here. Its almost comic.

About the same with us but we don't have a mountain range dividing us. If I understand it right, ya'll get most of your water during the winter because the mountains will dump the water before it can get to the other side during the warmer months. Is that right?

Jogeephus":3q4gze3n said:
About the same with us but we don't have a mountain range dividing us. If I understand it right, ya'll get most of your water during the winter because the mountains will dump the water before it can get to the other side during the warmer months. Is that right?
Pretty much. The west side gets lotsa rain in the winter; we get snow. In the spring, west side gets rain and so do we -- and we get flooding from the combination of mountain snow melt and rain. The west side is not generally soggy during the summer, but they get some moisture and high humidity; we have hot/dry.

Amazing what a mountain range can do. So would this mean you have a lot of ponderosa pine and that type tree?

Jogeephus":2i75ru4o said:
Amazing what a mountain range can do. So would this mean you have a lot of ponderosa pine and that type tree?
Another 2 miles north of us Joe, are lots of pines -- ponderosas are some. (We have hay fields pretty much surrounding us -- export quality and very dam expensive -- we are at the base of the foothills to the Cascades.) Our forest here are much different than yours in the South. I'm always amazed on trips to MO -- we have coniferous forests (needles); you have deciduous forests (leaves). Look at a WA map; see I-90 that runs E/W from Spokane to Seattle. We are roughly 100 miles E. of Seattle, across the mountains, viar Snoqualmie pass. When they close Snoqualmie during bad winter storms, they shut it down on the east side at Ellensburg. I can take back roads to go further NW to home from job at E-burg (as can folks that live at Cle Elum -- but once you get to Cle Elum, you're done -- no way to get over the pass).

Kathie in Thorp":1vm02qoh said:
Our forest here are much different than yours in the South. I'm always amazed on trips to MO -- we have coniferous forests (needles); you have deciduous forests (leaves).

Maybe in north Georgia but not where I live. I live in the coastal plain and its a coniferous forest as well.

If its not in cotton our woods look similar to this.

IMG_3750.jpg

Yes, the coastal plain of the Carolinas is very similar. You have to get past the sand hills to get into the deciduous forests. Prettier country up there. IMHO

Latest posts