Pipe finally got here

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2rdg4fw1 said:
Thanks. I don't know how much longer I can keep it this clean and stay organic.

not long and I have the photos to prove it. It is, however, fun to plant zinnia among the squash.

Jogeephus":2rdg4fw1 said:
Does anyone know whether or not non-reported income is taxable? If it is, I was wondering if I just left the governments share in the garden and they can pick it themselves.

Undeclared income is not taxable in this country. However, should conscience prompt you to declare it I believe there is a 'hobby' exception for small amounts. Alternatively, it could be described as a child's business enterprise providing the mimimum at which tax applies is not exceeded.
Your country may vary.
Also, it is not wise to keep a pristine garden and attempt to declare it a spare time hooby. I have photos of a more appropriate project if guidance is needed.

:lol2: My daughter has a little gardening business going on and she is quite the entrepreneur. This year she wants to expand her business some and carry stuff to the farmer's market. I sometimes look at her savings account and get jealous. :oops: I really need to explain to her about the tax man and how this works but I really hate to do it cause she isn't going to like it one bit and she is liable to just toss in the towell and watch tv instead. However I don't think she would mind leaving their share in the garden though. That's sortof why I brought it up. :lol2:

Its amazing what a little rainfall can do.

IMG_6194.jpg

An afternoon of picking.

IMG_6190.jpg

Jogeephus":3mtfft1s said:
I hate to say it but I think your drought has moved east.

I hope not. Don't wish that on anyone. The wife and I were talking about it last night and this could possibly be the last good rain before summer sets in. If it is I'm hoping that we at least get some sporadic showers though out the summer.

.12" for the month so far and before that it was 2 weeks of no rain. Before that it was a month of no rain.
This is downright rediculous. Areas just 20 miles west got 6" last week we got .06 from the same storms.
Chances are better for Monday but I'm not holding my breath

I've had an inch so far. Its sporadic. Some areas are getting flooded and others nothing. I feel a drought in the making. All the creeks are dry so it seems the drought feeds on itself. We need a good gully washer to get the humidity to 200 so we can get those popup showers in the afternoon.

We only got 1/10 last week, makes 8" for the year. Three miles to the north they got 2". The cows got in our garden and even ate the tops of the onions and potatoes. Maybe this is going to be our week for rain.

Jo, I could fit about 50 of my gardens into yours. That is a heck of a garden. Back in the day many a farmer made a living on a smaller plot than that :lol: I bet you hitch up one of crazy Brangus cows to a plow to plow up that big patch......heck that looks like the 40 acres and a mule that you were promised but you must have traded the mule for that wild eyed, fire breathing cow. :mrgreen:

The fire breathers are now gone. All I have now are nice docile cows so there is no longer any need to look over your shoulders. :D

Its really producing now. I've almost turned into a vegetarian. Picking a bushel of squash every day and have put up a bunch of squash and green beans. Corn should be ready in a week and the peppers are coming in as well. Peas should be ready in another two weeks. With fresh vegetables like this I really don't miss meat.

Some of our cows got in the garden and all we got were the potatoes and a few onions. I miss the fried squash and zuccini the most.
I see your a very busy man, and I don't know how you do it all. Your garden looks great, but some of that meat looks phenomenal.

That's a shame. Coons got me last year but I thinned them hard and no trouble so far. I do stay busy but the garden is more for relaxation. Its sortof like Zen only useful.

Spent the holiday weekend getting spit on but got a lot done.

Corn is in. Lunch was corn on the cob.

IMG_6199.jpg

Processed creamed corn and canned beans. Also pickled peppers and green beans and made corn relish and dilly beans and made some blueberry and cherry yogurt.

IMG_6209.jpg

Oh, and found time to get three replacement heifers out of the middle of the highway. :bang: (stupid animals)

Joe, you are a machine.

Here in Northern Maryland we did get cool weather plants in early and we already have picked Broccoli, Cabbage, Lettuce, Cauliflower. Taters are growing good and we have bush beans coming up.

Didn't get the maters, peppers, squash, etc in till May 1 and looks like squash in a few days here.

Your garden looks great, I have been fighting weeds and have cleaned it up and put straw down.

Rains been great,, Pastures growing too.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Its been keeping me busy. Between work and picking there's not much time for anything else. I got lucky this spring from a weed standpoint. I think the dry weather allowed me to keep the weeds at bay till the seed bank was spent but now with our recent rains they are becoming problematic. The corn has peaked but the peas and peppers are coming in heavy. On top of this the berries are coming in. Seems it all comes at once but we are being blessed with a wonderful year for gardening and we are going to put up as much as we can.

Latest posts