Pipe fence question

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Good morning all, My question is this. What is the going per foot cost for building oil field pipe fence. I built one for my neighbor it was 2 3/8" drill stem post and top rail, the top rail was not saddled on top of the post it was welded on the side of the post along with rail 5 rails total. As I said, top rail 2 3/8" other 4 rails are 3/4" solid sucker rod all of the top rail and the sucker rod are threaded together. There was a straight 440' run of this fence I charged him $4000.00 for materials and all? How does that sound? BTW, he didn't want to pay extra for me to saddle in the top rail. I'll try and get pic and post it later. B&G

I get $5 pr ft labor and they pay for materials your price sound a little cheap to me inless you got a really good deal on the material whick I know sucker rod is cheaper than pipe
Did you use clips to attach sucker rod or did you weld it direct to the post ?
I prefer clips myself but have done it both ways
I also saddle everything on top

Angus Cowman":3o1zenyx said:
I get $5 pr ft labor and they pay for materials your price sound a little cheap to me inless you got a really good deal on the material whick I know sucker rod is cheaper than pipe

Thanks Angus for the response. I welded everything to the post. This Homeowner didn't want spend the extra money to have the top rail saddled. B&G

This is kinda related. I have about 5000' of 2 3/8 pipe, most of which is wrapped. Know any EASY to get the wrap off the pipe so it looks better and can be welded?

lavacarancher":27xcvfpb said:
This is kinda related. I have about 5000' of 2 3/8 pipe, most of which is wrapped. Know any EASY to get the wrap off the pipe so it looks better and can be welded?

The pipe I see here, is all clean as far wrapped goes. But, a lot of it is really nasty with oil and rust. B&G

lavacarancher":32tgc4wa said:

The pipe I see here, is all clean as far wrapped goes. But, a lot of it is really nasty with oil and rust. B&G

lavacarancher":qopjfqw4 said:
Wrapped with what?
You sure it isn't just covered in paraffin?
(I did have one joint that had some hard black stuff on it--not wrapped, but coated. A corrosion preventative I think. I burned it ff with acetylene torch.

Here I would have $2.94 a foot in material with post on 12' centers with a pipe top post and 4 sucker rod rails. I would double that for installed. Fancy stuff would be extra.

greybeard":mxwptqlw said:
lavacarancher":mxwptqlw said:
Wrapped with what?
(I did have one joint that had some hard black stuff on it--not wrapped, but coated. A corrosion preventative I think. I burned it ff with acetylene torch.

Some of the stuff you get now days isn't drill stem. It was 2" production pipe that has been demoed and was wrapped in Denso tape. Like said before about the only way to get it off is cut and peel it off.

Black and Good":1xlnem1s said:
Good morning all, My question is this. What is the going per foot cost for building oil field pipe fence. I built one for my neighbor it was 2 3/8" drill stem post and top rail, the top rail was not saddled on top of the post it was welded on the side of the post along with rail 5 rails total. As I said, top rail 2 3/8" other 4 rails are 3/4" solid sucker rod all of the top rail and the sucker rod are threaded together. There was a straight 440' run of this fence I charged him $4000.00 for materials and all? How does that sound? BTW, he didn't want to pay extra for me to saddle in the top rail. I'll try and get pic and post it later. B&G
Here's a picture of the fence I built. BTW the post are 9' centers. Thanks B&G

hurleyjd":2wv4ah5i said:
12.50 per foot turn key
About what I paid a couple years ago to have a man build mine but mine is only 4 pipes instead of 5. All the post are set in concrete...that included painting as well.

greybeard":1jmla12b said:
lavacarancher":1jmla12b said:
Wrapped with what?

GB, the stuff I have is wrapped with what looks like tar paper then coated with hard tar. Or maybe the other way around. Anyway it was used in my gas well to help prevent the production pipe from rusting out. Well was producing lots of saltwater. I was also thinking of trying to burn it off.

B&M Farms":33n9n6gs said:
Here I would have $2.94 a foot in material with post on 12' centers with a pipe top post and 4 sucker rod rails. I would double that for installed. Fancy stuff would be extra.
In a 5- 3/4" rails fence with 2 3/8 od top rail and 3" od post I have 5.20 pr ft with post on 10 ft centers
That is figuring 100ft run

I would like to buy pipe where you are because my post are running $1.50 pr ft and top rail is around $1 pr ft

Angus Cowman":2bkwsbk0 said:

Angus Cowman what is the proper name for the clips that you were talking about. Where can you get them. I am thinking about using sucker rod connected to my 2 7/8"
poles.
Thanks Jim

Latest posts