Pipe Corral

Help Support CattleToday:

How do you hang you gates with level posts and every thing else following the ground?

I guess you got to do what you got to do but I have never seen pins that followed the ground look right. Same thing when people follow the ground with fence.... it looks bad. We probably don't have the slope yall do but if you plan the pins right you can stair step them down from pin to pin with out effecting the use while maintaining level.

Brute 23":2hgfg27f said:
How do you hang you gates with level posts and every thing else following the ground?

I guess you got to do what you got to do but I have never seen pins that followed the ground look right. Same thing when people follow the ground with fence.... it looks bad. We probably don't have the slope yall do but if you plan the pins right you can stair step them down from pin to pin with out effecting the use while maintaining level.
you just adjust for it
if you build a set of pens level then what do you do if you have a 6"drop in 10ft and your bottom rail is 12" off of the ground???
at one post your bottom rail is 12" off the ground and the next post it is 18" off the ground or 12" off at one pst and 6" off at the next
that would look weird as he77 either that or you would be putting lots off post in really close together to make them step as you are saying

In my main working corral there is almost 20' rise from the bottom to where they enter the barn. This goes through 3 smaller lots. You can make it work and still look good but it is a pain.

kenny thomas":2q90nxs9 said:
In my main working corral there is almost 20' rise from the bottom to where they enter the barn. This goes through 3 smaller lots. You can make it work and still look good but it is a pain.
Looking godd is a matter of opinion. The stair steps where each section is a different length and the top rail is a different height is unsightly to me. But that's what makes a horse race, differences of opions

dun":r2bm354a said:
Looking godd is a matter of opinion. The stair steps where each section is a different length and the top rail is a different height is unsightly to me. But that's what makes a horse race, differences of opions
I agree
I willl try and get some pics of a few of the corrals I have built that are built with the ground
tomorrow maybe
they aren't on this computer so couldn't post any tonite

Angus Cowman":3qpcyqi3 said:
Brute 23":3qpcyqi3 said:

you just adjust for it
if you build a set of pens level then what do you do if you have a 6"drop in 10ft and your bottom rail is 12" off of the ground???
at one post your bottom rail is 12" off the ground and the next post it is 18" off the ground or 12" off at one pst and 6" off at the next
that would look weird as he77 either that or you would be putting lots off post in really close together to make them step as you are saying

When we stair step them is like when the pins are an acre or bigger. The ground can move alot then and you can stair step them at certain points. When your looking at 1+ ac of pipe pins you don't notice a stair step here or there.

Idk, I was raised by a welder and spent the majority of my teenage years building pins, entances, setting cattle gaurds, building shops, ect and every thing was always built off level. That is how we did it and we never had any body we worked for want it differently.

I can't imagine backing up and eyeing pipe runners to match the land. With posts level... and then kind of fitting the gate in however it will go. It seems like as you go and get bigger and bigger you wouldn't be able to tie stuff in... it would all be trying to do its own thing. YOu would end up with some thing that looks like a picasso painting. It just doesn't process un my head. :D Its probably a preferene thing like yall said... I am sure some one out there knows how to do it and it looks right.

I guess I would have to take pics of the gates. Where I have gates on slope, the gates open down hill. The gates themselves are level. When you open them, they are still level but the free end is 3 feet off of the ground while it is open. There is really no other choice but to put the gates in where they are if you want to get in the pasture off of the road. The gate only open in one direction in this situation. In other locales where roads are on level ground, the gate can open in either direction. Without a picture, that is the best description I can think of at the moment.

A medina gate or a cut gate has to be on relatively level ground. When you build your pens, you take all of that into account. Chutes are narrow so leveling for chutes is a piece of cake.