Pinzgauer X Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have some Pinzgauer cows that are currently bred to a Black Angus bull. The calves are due in March. Does anyone know what we can expect from this cross?

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Should be some good calves. That's a cross we had played with, but the dock on striped backed calves in this area just kills you. No matter what, they think they are Longhorns, and Longhorns don't sell worth squat here.

dun

> We have some Pinzgauer cows that
> are currently bred to a Black
> Angus bull. The calves are due in
> March. Does anyone know what we
> can expect from this cross?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The calves from our Longhorns don't bring much here, either. No matter what we've crossed them with. Probably should have gotten rid of them a few years back, but they never have trouble calving and they are good mothers.

Do you think any heifers from the Pinzgauer X Angus cross would be worth keeping? Or will the Pinzgauer pattern continue to show up?

> Should be some good calves. That's
> a cross we had played with, but
> the dock on striped backed calves
> in this area just kills you. No
> matter what, they think they are
> Longhorns, and Longhorns don't
> sell worth squat here.

> dun

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The pattern will continue to show up but maybe with some variation. It's a darn shame too that they're docked so bad. If you can find someone that is raising freezer beef and sell them private treaty that would be the way to go. Depending on where you are, there may be a marketing alliance that has a group of people that cow-migle calves, sorts them and feeds them out and sells in a group to a feedlot. I can't explain it all that well, but the attached site is the alliance we are in. We get some of the darndest looking calves, but as long as they meet the criteria they sell well as a group. We had a bunch of Maine crosses that were marked like Holsteins, large frame, #1 muscle, gained like crazy while getting ready for the feedlot. In a normal auction they probably would have gotten docked, sold right along with all the others, no problems.

<A HREF="http://outreach.missouri.edu/howell/premierbeef/SOPBM_Home_Page.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://outreach.missouri.edu/howell/premierbeef/SOPBM_Home_Page.htm</A>

dun

> The calves from our Longhorns
> don't bring much here, either. No
> matter what we've crossed them
> with. Probably should have gotten
> rid of them a few years back, but
> they never have trouble calving
> and they are good mothers.

> Do you think any heifers from the
> Pinzgauer X Angus cross would be
> worth keeping? Or will the
> Pinzgauer pattern continue to show
> up?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Thanks for the information. I'm sure it will be helpful.

> The pattern will continue to show
> up but maybe with some variation.
> It's a darn shame too that they're
> docked so bad. If you can find
> someone that is raising freezer
> beef and sell them private treaty
> that would be the way to go.
> Depending on where you are, there
> may be a marketing alliance that
> has a group of people that
> cow-migle calves, sorts them and
> feeds them out and sells in a
> group to a feedlot. I can't
> explain it all that well, but the
> attached site is the alliance we
> are in. We get some of the
> darndest looking calves, but as
> long as they meet the criteria
> they sell well as a group. We had
> a bunch of Maine crosses that were
> marked like Holsteins, large
> frame, #1 muscle, gained like
> crazy while getting ready for the
> feedlot. In a normal auction they
> probably would have gotten docked,
> sold right along with all the
> others, no problems.

>
> <A HREF="http://outreach.missouri.edu/howell/premierbeef/SOPBM_Home_Page.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://outreach.missouri.edu/howell/premierbeef/SOPBM_Home_Page.htm</A>
> dun

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

you should bred them with a Red Angus you will keep the Red of Pinzgauer too, even you will have the white merkings of it, really sounds good cross, their heifers should be good replacements and you will have excelent steers

> We have some Pinzgauer cows that
> are currently bred to a Black
> Angus bull. The calves are due in
> March. Does anyone know what we
> can expect from this cross?

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> The calves from our Longhorns
> don't bring much here, either. No
> matter what we've crossed them
> with. Probably should have gotten
> rid of them a few years back, but
> they never have trouble calving
> and they are good mothers.

> Do you think any heifers from the
> Pinzgauer X Angus cross would be
> worth keeping? Or will the
> Pinzgauer pattern continue to show
> up? Tim,I have one such cow Angus/Pinz. cross and she is an excellent cow. Even when bred back to an angus bull the stripe shows up more often than not. BTW she is black with the white markings. TSR

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> I raise Pinzgauers in Minnesota and have bred them to a variety of breeds. The black or yellow (gelbvieh) cross calves seem to sell the best. When the market is high they bring as much as the angus. When the market is low they seem to dock you 5 cents a pound.

[email protected]
 
Top